- Route: Darwin – Alice Springs – Adelaide
- Distance: 2979 km
- Departs: Wednesday 10.00am & Saturday 9.00am
- Arrives: Friday & Monday 1.10pm.
Great Southern Rail is excited to announce that the new Platinum Service. Platinum Service is a new luxury level of train travel, like no other Australian train accommodation. Platinum Cabins will be approximately twice the size of our standard Gold Twin Cabins with each room offering deluxe accommodation including double beds, spacious ensuite and 24 hour room service. They will have all the modern comforts, in a classic style, with a distinctly Australian character. Platinum Service has been designed to meet the needs of the discerning traveller looking for that next level of comfort that will truly be the ultimate way to travel in style through the heart of Australia.
* Platinum Service Cabin Accommodation: This exclusive new service is limited to just 24 Platinum Cabins on The Ghan’s weekly service departing Adelaide on Wednesdays and Darwin on Saturdays. Each spacious cabin measures 3.65m x 2.1m, including ensuite bathroom - almost twice the size of The Ghan’s Gold Service cabins. Your cabin is a private lounge during the day with a moveable table and 2 ottomons, to offer plenty of room to entertain or to simply relax and enjoy the journey. By night your private cabin converts to your choice of comfortable double or twin beds offering quality bedding. The interior radiates a true Australian character, finished in polished Tasmanian Myrtle and plush pile floor coverings.
All cabins have a writing desk, ideally positioned next to the window, where you can enjoy the view in style or write a postcard to someone special. All ensuites are equipped with premium fittings, full size shower, vanity with cupboard space, mirror and toilet facilities. An oversized panoramic window in your cabin offers you a unique perspective on the ever-changing Australian landscape. Admire views from both sides of the train, as each cabin features an additional interior window. Set the tone as you draw your roman blinds, dim the lights to your personal liking and settle in for the night with in-cabin entertainment. For your convenience and peace of mind each cabin offers a lockable door and in-cabin safe
- Welcome drink and appetizer on arrival in your cabin
- 24 hour Cabin Steward Service to cater to your needs
- Fine Australian wine or tasty delights (available for purchase) from the 24 hour in-cabin menu
- Complimentary nightcap and turndown service provided nightly
- Binoculars and in-cabin entertainment (on request)
- Each morning enjoy freshly brewed tea/coffee delivered to your cabin
- Complimentary morning and afternoon tea in your cabin
- Optional in-cabin continental breakfast or full breakfast in the Queen Adelaide restaurant
- Priority restaurant seating, check-in and Whistle Stop Tour bookings
- Hotel transfer to or from The Ghan in Darwin.
Dining: Platinum Service guests travelling aboard The Ghan dine in a beautifully decorated Queen Adelaide Restaurant Car. All meals are included in the Platinum Service fare. The enjoyment of fine food and wine combined with views across this vast, beautiful continent is an unrivalled experience. Sample selections from our superb menus served to your table. The ever-changing menus feature a blend of Australian and International cuisine, cooked to perfection by our on-board chefs. Quality wines and beverages are available for purchase. Vegetarian, children’s and some special dietary meals can be accommodated - please request these when you make your booking. Note: breakfast packs will be delivered to cabins on some services to cater for early morning destination arrivals and off-train tour requirements.
* Gold Kangaroo Twin Cabin: Superior, well appointed day and overnight sleeper accommodation. Choose from an elegant twin or single sleeper cabin:
- Twin Cabins feature 3 seater lounge converting to upper and lower sleeping berths plus ensuite facilities with toilet, washbasin and shower.
- Single Cabins feature a lounge chair converting to single sleeping berth with shower and toilet facilities located at the end of each carriage.
Cabins are fully serviced by carriage attendants with fresh sheets, pillows and doonas. Cabins feature 3 pin/ 240 volt power point, wardrobe, full length mirror, reading light, foldaway table. Complimentary toiletry bags and onboard magazine provided in all Gold Service Service cabins. Guests receive a Certificate of Travel and `collector` stick pin upon disembarkation.
Dining: Gold Service guests travelling aboard The Ghan dine in a beautifully decorated Restaurant Car. All meals are included in the Gold Service fare. The enjoyment of fine food and wine combined with views across this vast, beautiful continent is an unrivalled experience.Sample selections from our superb menus served to your table. The ever-changing menus feature a blend of Australian and International cuisine, cooked to perfection by our on-board chefs. Quality wines and beverages are available for purchase. Vegetarian, children’s and some special dietary meals can be accommodated - please request these when you make your booking. Note: breakfast packs will be delivered to cabins on some services to cater for early morning destination arrivals and off-train tour requirements.
Lounge: The relaxed setting of the Gold Service Lounge offers an excellent place to socialise and meet fellow travellers from all corners of the world or sit back and enjoy the passing parade of Australian landscapes. The Lounge has a licensed bar and is the ideal place to gather for a drink before dinner or for a game of cards and a nightcap with new friends.
* Red Kangaroo Service Sleeper Cabin: Comfortable, twin share day cabin converting to upper and lower sleeping berths at night. Seating comprises 2 facing lounge chairs. Private washing facilities in cabin. Cabins feature 3 pin/ 240 volt power point, wardrobe, vanity mirror, reading light, foldaway table. Toilet and shower facilities at the end of each carriage. Complimentary on-board magazine.
Note: guests travelling alone may be required to share a Sleeper Cabin.
* Red Kangaroo Service Daynighter Seat: Comfortable recliner lounge chairs with generous leg room. Individual reading light. Video entertainment. Toilet and shower facilities at the end of each carriage. Towels and soap provided; guests need to bring their own rug and pillow. Complimentary on-board magazine.
Diner & Buffet: The Red Service Diner offers affordable and tasty light meals, snacks and drinks for purchase. Limited special dietary light meals are available (please request when you make your booking). The Diner is fully licensed. Snacks and light meals are also available for purchase throughout the day from the licensed Buffet Car.
Lounge: All Red Service Sleeper Cabin and Daynighter Seat guests can enjoy facilities in the Red Service Lounge. Sit back and relax, enjoy a drink or socialise with new found friends. Video games and entertainment are available in the Lounge. Enjoy the freedom to move that train travel offers.
Note: Due to space constraints, Red Service Service guests may only take on board hand luggage required for their journey. All other luggage must be checked-in. Guests are permitted to check-in a maximum 40kg luggage free of charge (2 items not exceeding 20kg each). Checked-in luggage cannot be accessed during the journey.
Also see tour packages in:
Australia and Oceania Australia Local Culture Railway Trips
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend