- Boston to Ohiopyle
- 56 miles
- Lodging: Trillium Lodge
- Highlights: Dravo Cemetery, Dawson Historic District, Colonel Crawford's Cabin, Youghiogheny Opalescent Glass, Ohiopyle Falls.
- Visit to Falling Water (OPTIONAL)
- Ohiopyle to Frostburg, MD
- 58 miles
- Lodging: The Hotel Gunter
- Highlights: Town of Confluence, Salisbury Viaduct, Meyersdale Train Station, Frostburg MD.
- Option 1: 77 miles. Frostburg, MD to Hancock, MD
- Option 2: 60 miles. Cumberland to Hancock
- Lodging: Inn at Berkley Springs
- Highlights: Canal Place, Paw Paw Tunnel, Little Orleans.
- Hancock, MD to Shepherdstown, WV
- 51 Miles to Bavarian Inn
- Highlights: Fort Frederick, Williamsport, Park Service Museum, Sharpsburg Historic District.
- Shepherdstown, WV to Violettes Lock, MD
- 35 miles
- Lodging: Inn at Buckeystown
- Highlights: Antietam Battle Field, Shepardstown, Harpers Ferry Historic District.
- Violettes Lock to Georgetown, what this means to cyclists is:
* 315 miles of trail that begins at 850 feet in elevation
* Climbs over the Allegheny Front of the Appalachian Mountains at 3200 feet in elevation, and terminates at sea level. All of this happens with a maximum grade of 2%
- We will begin the trip among the modern giants of glass and steel of Pittsburgh.It won't be long until the buildings are exchanged for a canopy of trees
- Then we will head down the trail and back through history
- We will ride past remnants of the early 1900's industrial revolution when Pittsburgh Steel was king, Victorian Mansions, Civil War Battlefields, Historic Districts, Canal remains and good ol' Americana.
An introduction to the charm and history of the Great Allegheny Passage and the C and O Canal towpath. Daily mileage on this trip is an average of about 35 miles per day, 3 to 4 hours on the bike. This allows you more time to explore and enjoy the small towns and the amazing cultural and historical resources of the trail such as: Fallingwater, Salisbury Viaduct and Antietam.
This tour has been designed for the novice cyclist to enjoy, while intermediate cyclists will have the opportunity to ride additional miles or have extra discovery and relaxing time. 6 days of biking through beautiful country! This trip takes place on a rather unique trail system, considered by Conde Naste Magazine to be one of the seventeen most beautiful rail trails in the world. This is a world class ride that is filled with a multitude of natural, cultural and historically significant sites. The initial 125 miles on the Great Allegheny Passage from Pittsburgh to Cumberland, Maryland are located on abandoned railroad bed (and some back roads).
About This Supplier
Also see tour packages in:
USA Pennsylvania Outdoor: Land Rambler Bicycle Touring Sightseeing
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend