This project is set in the small tropical beach town of Vilanculos. The project involves various aspects of community work and development in and around the area. We spend our mornings at a local preschool and most afternoons involved in a number of other exciting community initiatives including language lessons, orphan care, rural home building and sports coaching. Your beach bungalow offers the ideal vantage point to spectacular views of the Indian Ocean and majestic sunrises as you start your day in paradise!
Pre-School Learning Center:
Volunteers visit the pre-school every morning to assist the local teachers and educate the children in creative ways. There are currently approximately 70 young learners enrolled at the pre-school and volunteers teach in small groups of about 8 children.
Your role at the pre-school is as a teacher, preparing the children for their next steps into primary school and involves the following:
- Singing and dancing with the children in English, Portguese and Xitsua
- Developing the children’s imagination and creative skills through crafts such as painting, drawing and coloring
- Teaching basic lessons about colors, numbers, letters and knowledge of the world in English with the assistance of a translator
- Giving the children the opportunity to let off some steam through fun games and structured physical education classes
- Helping to prepare lunch for the children
- General upkeep of the school to keep it a pleasant environment in which to learn
- Some basic work at the preschool farm, aimed at providing a source of sustainable income for the preschool.
Teaching English to Young Adults:
We are currently teaching English to a group of about fifty students, split into 2 groups depending on ability, ranging in age from young adults to middle-aged adults. Volunteers are responsible for making the lesson plans, which are always interactive and fun with the use of flash cards, games, objects and worksheets. Volunteers encourage active participation from the students by reading out loud, role-playing, writing on the board and participating in educational games.
The volunteer role includes:
- Planning fun, interactive, and challenging lessons for the students
- Conducting these lessons with the help of a translator in a patient, creative, dynamic and passionate manner
- Assigning and correction of homework assignments
- Getting to know an amazing group of individuals with an inspiring dedication to learning.
The English lessons are free for the students and open to the community at-large. They offer an amazing and rare opportunity for the people of Vilanculos to increase their knowledge of English, which greatly increase their chance of securing employment in Vilanculos’ growing tourism-based economy.
Community Projects: After having spent the morning at the Preschool, you will help out the local community through a wide array of projects that are outlined below:
- Orphan Care and Development:
* We visit the orphanage twice a month on a Saturday afternoon to visit with the 15 children that live there. As a volunteer you will be involved in the following:
* English and Portuguese lessons with the children with the assistance of visual aids and a translator.
* Developmental playtime where the children get to learn new games and play with toys to which they wouldn't normally have access.
* Constructive sports games such as frisbee and football
* Giving the children the one on one care and attention that is so critical for their development
- Language Club: Saturday mornings are spent at the language club, an informal learning group open to the community surrounding the volunteer camp. The students that attend include young children, young women, and adults, all of whom perhaps have missed out on other formal learning opportunities. The language club is an amazing opportunity for these individuals to pick up some English that can help them procure employment and therefore a more stable lifestyle. Also, what better way to get to know and form close bonds with your neighbors than learning together?
You will be involved in:
* Play creative language learning games with the littlies, such as bingo and pairs game to encourage fun learning.
* Arts and crafts as a means of increasing vocabulary, with themes such as sea-life and the animal world.
* More formal English lessons with advanced students, keen to further their education in their spare time.
* Singing in English and Portuguese.
- Home-Building: Cyclone Favio hit the Mozambican coast in February 2007 and devastated much of the local area. African Impact was involved in the initial relief work and assisting aid agencies. Through our local contacts we have continued with rural home-building for those who do not have the means to build for themselves (monetarily or physically) We work in close conjunction with community leaders to assess the most critical housing needs and then act accordingly.
We are currently managing to build 1 home approximately every 2 months (dependent on volunteer numbers!). They are simple and rustic structures typical of construction in the Inhambane Province. The work is sometimes challenging but always rewarding and offers an amazing insight into rural Vilanculos as well as the chance to meet and form working relationships with members of the local community. Other building projects that we undertake include refurbishment at the preschool, such as new classrooms and amenities.
- Other Community Projects:
There are a number of other community iniatives that we are involved in the afternoons. These include maintaining the farm at the pre-school, painting projects, beach clean up days and cultural immersion day.
- What is the minimum stay: 2 weeks
- Where exactly is it: Vilanculos, Mozambique
- What will I be doing: Pre-School Teaching & Development and Orphan Care
- Please note that this project is closed for December, January 2011 and February - it opens again on 1st March.
Volunteer in Mozambique - Amazing end of year Special Offer!
Our gift to you for giving back to our Mozambique Volunteer Project. Volunteer with us on our Teaching, Orphan Care and HIV Project between the months of September and November 2010 and this is our gift to you. We are offering you a once in a lifetime experience of a full-day snorkeling trip in the tropical paradise that is the World Heritage Site Bazaruto Archipelago.
You will be picked up by a traditional Mozambican Arab-style sailing dhow and your trip will take you into the tropical waters of the Indian Ocean off the coast near the project base. This Free day trip includes all snorkeling gear to explore some of the best snorkeling sites along Africa's East coast, and a delicious seafood BBQ lunch.
- Project Fee: this is financing that goes directly back into the project with which you are involved. This project fee facilitates funding for items such as teaching materials, sports equipment, supplies, etc. as well as the development of the actual programme.
- Transfer from Vilanculos Airport to the project accommodation in town
- Orientation and introductions to project work upon your arrival
- A monthly cultural day involving an insight into the traditional lifestyles of the local area, including traditional food, dancing, and singing.
- All daily transportation to and from the project
- Full board and lodging which includes 3 meals a day at your volunteer accommodation
- Assistance in your projects by various staff and project managers
- Full support from African Impact and your coordinator throughout your time at your placement.
- Prices from £730/$1315.
Also see tour packages in:
Africa Mozambique Volunteering Volunteering Vacations
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend