There are 4 pre-schools in Jambiani. Volunteers support the local teachers in educating the local children. TEFL Graduate Volunteers are most welcome! They get involved in:
- Teaching English to children, teachers and local adults (This is where a TEFL qualification comes in handy, although it isn't an absolute must).
- Singing and dancing with children in English and local languages.
- Developing the children’s creative skills through crafts such as painting, drawing and colouring.
- Playing developmental games with the children.
- General upkeep of the school to keep it a pleasant environment in which to learn.
Volunteer Involvement in Primary and Secondary schools:
Working in the primary and secondary schools, with too many children to accommodate at one time, and shortages of staff and facilities, often two school sessions are run per day. You will find that most of the schools have meagre and ill-equipped facilities, but a wealth of children with a desire to learn. Here a TEFL qualification would be really useful for your volunteer project.
These are the ways in which you will assist in the schools:
- Teaching in the classes (qualified teachers only and pre arranged before trip).
- Organize and coordinate sport afternoons with the scholars.
- Help maintain and even repair the facilities, most of which are quite run down.
School holidays are set for the following:
- Term 1: 3 January – 26 March
- Holidays: 27 March – 5 April
- Term 2: 6 April – 30 May
- Holidays: 31 May – 7 June
- Term 3: 8 June – 10 August
- Holidays Ramadan: 11 August – 20 September
- Term 4: 21 September – 2 December
- Holidays: 3 December – 3 January.
Ramadan: 11 August - 9 September.
"Ramadan is an Islamic religious observance that takes place during the ninth month of the Islamic calendar; the month in which the Qur'an (occasionally written as Koran in non-Islamic cultures) was revealed to the Prophet Muhammad. It is the Islamic month of fasting, in which participating Muslims do not eat or drink anything from true dawn until sunset. Fasting is meant to teach the person patience, sacrifice and humility. Ramadaan is a time to fast for the sake of Allah, and to offer more prayer than usual. During Ramadaan, Muslims ask forgiveness for past sins, pray for guidance and help in refraining from everyday evils, and try to purify themselves through self-restraint and good deeds." During this month all school children will be on holiday and the schools will be closed so there will be NO volunteer work associated with the scho