Day 1: Flight to Príncipe. Upon arrival in São Tomé, you will catch a connecting flight to Príncipe, where the Bom Bom staff will be waiting to meet you. You will arrive in Bom Bom Island Resort in time for lunch, which will be the first of many treats this place has to offer. At night, the ocean, endlessly ebbing and flowing along the beach will lull you into a deep, contented sleep.
Lodging: Bom Bom Island Resort.
Day 2: Príncipe. While Bom Bom is a wonderful place to relax and recharge your spirit, there is also plenty there to explore and discover. Lodging: Bom Bom Island Resort.
- Santo Antonio City Tour: It is a photographer’s dream; the rustic town of Santo Antonio tells the colourful story of a colonial Portuguese village that is now home to the people of Príncipe. Enjoy the warm, friendly atmosphere of the town as you stroll through its streets, visit the fish and fresh produce markets, and step into some of the old shops with their assorted goods and trinkets. Sample some of the local delicacies or see what natural remedies the chemist might prescribe.
- Hiking: Circumnavigate Bom Bom Island by foot, and discover its beautiful rock pools with their own ecosystems varying from one pool to the next. Or go on a leisurely hike through the forest to experience the sounds of the jungle and catch glimpses of a Mona monkey or the African grey parrot.
- Diving and Snorkeling: Discover the underwater world of Bom Bom! São Tomé and Príncipe, both ancient volcanic islands, are home to some of the world’s most spectacular rock formations, above and below the waterline. With drop-offs of over 35 metres, overhangs and cascading boulders, there is plenty of sea life here to keep you coming back for more!
- Whale Watching: From mid-July to mid-September, humpback whales visit the waters around Bom Bom as they migrate from their low-latitude summer feeding grounds to more tropical mating and calving areas. Please note that sightings cannot be guaranteed and this excursion is not included in the package price of this programme.
Day 3: Flight to Sao Tome. On Sunday morning you will return to São Tomé with the connecting flight. The Omali Lodge staff will be waiting to meet you at the airport. The Omali Lodge Luxury Hotel is only a 5 minute drive from the airport.
Lodging: Omali Lodge Luxury Hotel
Days 4-7: Sao Tome. São Tomé offers many possible itineraries, such as a visit to see the volcanic crater deep in the forest of Ôbo National Park. Lodging: Omali Lodge Luxury Hotel
- São Tomé City Tour: Visit the old city centre and get a feel of what São Tomé was like during the colonial era. At the lively Mercado Central, you will discover the islands products and the Calilu’s secret ingredients. With a visit to the National Museum, our guide will tell you about the life on the plantations and São Tomé’s tormented pre-independence history.
- Visit to Bom Sucesso Botanical Garden
São Tomé’s native flora (700 species including a hundred orchids) and fauna (birds and marine turtles) are of particular interest, as many of its species are endemic. Indeed, it is possible to see more than 100 different orchids from the island at the Bom Sucesso Botanical Garden.
- Day Trip by Car to East Coast São Tomé
Your first stop is the Roça Agua Izê, a working cocoa plantation, with its colonial buildings and warehouses. You will then continue along the coast, passing typical fishermen villages and admiring some of the best views of the island. Roça São João is your final destination, where you can relax and enjoy São Tomé’s best-kept culinary secrets for lunch. Famous cook and artist João Carlos Silva welcomes guests to visit his plantation and colorful guesthouse, an eclectic blend of modern art, colonial patrimony and rural Santomean craftwork. On your way back to the capital, you can stop for a swim in any of the numerous secluded beaches found on the East Coast.
- Hiking in Ôbo National Park
Ôbo Natural Park has only recently been created and helps protect the unique natural heritage of the island. The old cocoa plantation “Roça Bombaim” is a major point of entry to the Ôbo National Park. Surrounded by mountains and waterfalls, this old estate has been rehabilitated into a charming small hostel. One of the eco-guides will take you through the plantations and into the park to discover the secrets of the Santomean rainforest. After a refreshing bath and picnic at the waterfall “Formoso Cascade”, you will head back to the roça for a well-deserved locally brewed cup of coffee.
- Sea Turtle Night Patrol
Marine turtles have been coming to São Tomé for millions of years. Between October and April, five species can be seen on the island: the green turtle, the leatherback, the olive riddley, the hawksbill and the caouanne. We invite you to accompany our eco-guides on their nightly patrols of the beach to supervise and protect the sea turtles as they crawl ashore to nest.
- Bird-watching Expeditions
São Tomé is also an ornithologist’s paradise: 143 bird species have been identified here and rare endemic species like the São Tomé short tail, São Tomé giant sun bird, and São Tomé fiscal shrike may sometimes be spotted.
Day 8: Return to Europe. If you fly with TAP, you will be brought to São Tomé airport early in the morning for your flight back to Europe/US. If you fly to Libreville, Gabon, you have until the late afternoon to relax or explore the island before you will be brought to São Tomé airport for your flight back to Libreville and your connecting flight to Europe/US/South Africa.
About This Supplier
Also see tour packages in:
Africa Sao Tome and Principe Romantic Venture Island Vacation
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend