We grow a large part of our own fruits which are enjoyed by guests and birds alike. Our 15 acres of lush cultivated gardens provide host to a wide range of edible plant species including citrus, banana, plantain, avocado, starfruit, guanabana, jackfruit, mango, heart of palm, ginger, papaya, pineapple, yucca, cashew, almond and water apple. There are also medicinal plants like noni, aloe and hombre grande.
- Hiking. Piedras Blancas or Corcovado National Park. The rainforests surrounding Saladero Lodge are primary forests - meaning they've never been cut or logged. Forests of this type are increasingly rare and support a vast diversity of life. The trees found on the property are towering giants, rivaling the redwoods of northern California. Saladero hosts 465 acres of primary rainforest, 15 acres of tropical fruits and garden and miles of pristine beachfront to explore. Guests are invited to experience the diversity of the rainforest on one of our two nature trails:
* Easy trail - a 3/4 of mile loop trail starts near the beach house, follows a small creek and passes from secondary to primary rainforest.
* Difficult trail - ascends to the ridge of the nearest mountain and provides a sense of higher regions of the rainforest canopy.
- Before or after visiting Saladero we highly recommend a visit to the Corcovado National Park on the Osa Peninsula. A permit is required to enter the park and tour operators in Pto Jimenez can organize your trip and make all the necessary arrangements prior to your arrival.
- Native-Guided Jungle Tour. Discover the richness of the jungle. Interested in learning about the rich flora and fauna in this thriving biological corridor? Take a tour with a local naturalist who will point out things you might otherwise miss. Visit her home and experience first hand how the life of the local is tune with nature. Trek up a small river into the primary rainforest and try your luck catching river shrimp hiding under rocks with just your hands. Pick tasty exotic local fruits right from the tree. Learn names and uses of some of the medicinal plants found in the area. Wet and muddy terrain may be encountered and proper footwear is recommended.
- Native-Guided Jungle Tour costs 20 USD per person
- Two person is minimum group size.
Also see tour packages in:
Central America and Caribbean Costa Rica Outdoor: Land Rambler Hiking & Trekking Rainforest
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend
US: , ext: 20555
Outside US, please use a number below and enter the extension "20555" when prompted:
UK: 01865 52 2588
Australia: 08 8121 5884
Note: If unavailable, leave a voicemail for the supplier to call you back.