- Paddling Clothes:
* Farmer John/Jane style wetsuit: for May/June/September/October, can be rented from our shop for $10/day
* Synthetic long underwear: polypropelene, polyester, coolmax, etc.anything but cotton, both tops and bottoms, can be worn under shorts too for a very comfortable if not very stylish ensemble.
* Fleece Jacket
* Paddling Jacket or rain parka: I have a few loaners
* Water shoes or neoprene boots: I try to discourage sandals because they can get tangled in footrests….and that’s bad if your upside down
- Odds and Ends:
* One liter water bottle
* Anything alcoholic you may want with evening meals
- Location: We are in Benzonia at 6721 Grace Rd. just 1/4 mile east of Hwy 31. Allow 4 hours from Detroit, 2.5 from Grand Rapids, 3 from Lansing, and 5 from Chicago and about an hour from Traverse City. Travel west on Grace Rd. (look for Honor State Bank and Vacation Trailer sales at intersection for about 2/10 of a mile. We are on the left across from the wooden footbridge in the park. Look for a tan stone house, kayaks and a hammock or two swinging in the Spruces.
This long weekend retreat will give you enough time to explore a number of our better local paddling opportunities. We will mix and match some open water paddling along the bluffs and dunes with some of the finest river paddling to be found in the area. Eagles, Osprey, mink, trout and bass are all resident members of the local wildlife population that we get to share our trips with. We can also see incredible dune faces and possibly even some shipwrecks viewable from the kayak on calm days.
Included are three comfortable nights lodging, several fine meals and all equipment. If you have an appropriate kayak for the weekend and would like to bring it you are welcome. You'll be able to swap stories over a glass of wine next to the fireplace or have a walk through the woods to the river when you are not out on the water. Warning label: You may have a lot of fun this weekend that doesn't mean you can move-in just know that up front.
Day 1: After dinner Thursday evening arrival between 7-9 PM. Get acquainted and settled. Orientation for the rest of the weekend.
Day 2: Friday will find us gearing up for a trip along Arcadia bluffs and a fine beach picnic. If the big lake is a little moody, we have a fjord-like back-up destination complete with islands, Eagles and good fishing. Hmmm, can we go there anyway? Dinner BBQ here at Casa de Kayak followed by kayak videos, tall tales and good night's sleep.
Day 3: Depending on weather, we'll head north for a longer paddle to enjoy some dune and island views, maybe a shipwreck and a swim. We'll gather for dinner at a local restaurant/pub after we get off the water. Whether we're in soggy sandals or wetsuits, we'll be welcome for some great food and drink after a good day of paddling.
Day 4: After a fine Sunday brunch, we'll gear up for a sweet little river trip through the backyard to give you a little moving water experience and balance out a weekend of grand vistas. We'll turn you loose for home or other adventures at about 2 pm. Stuff to Bring/ B&B Kayak Weekends
Note: Although we spend a little time on basic strokes instruction on this weekend, you may want to look to our Learn-to-Kayak B&B weekend if you are seeking a more instructional experience. What the heck, do both!
About This Supplier
Also see tour packages in:
USA Michigan Outdoor: Water Drifter Canoeing/Kayaking/Rafting
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend