A short tour through the Monmouthshire countryside surrounding the thriving market town of Abergavenny. The town and its hinterland have a reputation for excellent food and great hospitality. The tour is gentle-paced, giving the rider plenty of time to experience the rolling Monmouthshire countryside and fully explore the four fabulous castles which are encountered along the way. However, the countryside is rolling so there are a couple of climbs where a little cycling fitness will help!
Day 1: Arrival in Abergavenny.
Day 2: Abergavenny to Grosmont, 20 miles (32 km)
The town quickly turns to countryside as you leave Abergavenny, soon arriving at the imposing White Castle. Beautifully sited, the huge stone towers and curtain walls make this 13th century stronghold a very photogenic spot. The route continues to the village of Skenfrith, where you can visit the second of the royal castles and enjoy lunch at the Michelin Pub of the Year – the Bell at Skenfrith. A stroll around the unusual, stocky church at the centre of this small village is also recommended before you tackle the final leg along the pretty Monnow Valley to Grosmont.
Day 3: Grosmont to Abergavenny, 12 miles (19 km)
A chance to explore Grosmont’s well-preserved fortress, founded in the 11th century, and the nearby church which was built in the same style as parts of the original castle and contains some beautiful stone carvings. This tranquil village, with its lovely pub, well-kept rose gardens and calm atmosphere is hard to leave! The day’s ride passes below the Skirrid Mountain to return to Abergavenny, where the fourth and final castle awaits.
- Duration: 2 days biking
- Distance: 32 miles (51 km)
- Grading: Easy/Moderate.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
The price is 195 Pound Sterling (GBP) per person based on 2 people sharing a twin/double room. Contact operator for sole traveller/single occupancy rates.
- 2 nights accommodation in quality B&Bs, Inns and hotels;
- Daily luggage transfer, so your baggage is waiting for you on arrival;
- Detailed, customized maps, with your daily ride highlighted;
- Written route notes giving directions and background information;
- 2 days hire of a comfortable, lightweight, hybrid bike supplied with handlebar bag, cycle computer, repair kit, lock and water bottle. For tandem bikes, please add 10 Pound Sterling (GBP) per person. 10% discount if you bring your own bike.
- Transfers to/from the nearest rail or bus station at the start and end of the tour.
- Meals: Cooked breakfast included. Packed lunches and evening meals can be arranged at additional cost.
- Options: Add an extra night at any stage of the tour, prices from 40 Pound Sterling (GBP) per person per night.
About This Supplier
Joined InfoHub: Jul 2007
M16809 is a Partnership, founded and co-owned by Anna Heywood and Luke Skinner. We provide guided and self-guided walking and cycling holidays in Wales. We hold MA degrees from the University of Cambridge and have considerable experience of the travel industry. We have also completed an independent cycling expedition...
View this supplier profile | Submit your review
Also see tour packages in:
Outdoor: Land Rambler
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend