Snow Mountain, also infuriatingly known by names such as Syue-, Shei-, Hsueh-, Shuei-, Xue-, Shue-, Shwei-, Shan-Mountain, is the second highest (3886 m) mountain in Taiwan (if you disregard Yushan’s 4 higher sub-peaks) and often regarded as the most beautiful of the major peaks in Taiwan. The trail to the summit passes through a variety of forest types, and is suitable for the reasonably fit. Being further from main transport links, and being a somewhat longer trail, we recommend 3 full days/2 nights for this trip. Permits are harder to get for weekends.
- Option 1 - permit only. We can help you apply for permits, book cabins, give you information - and then let you sort out the rest.
- Option 2 - fully-guided.
Day 1: Travel from the city (other pick-up points may be possible as we will be coming from Tainan – a long way away!) by van to Wuling Farm Resort in Taichung County - but much closer to Yilan County in practice. Hike 1-2 hours to first shelter and sleep.
Day 2: Arise early for sunrise on trail (if possible at East Peak), drop packs at second shelter, and head for the main summit. After summiting descend to second shelter for a much needed sleep – a full day’s hike.
Day 3: Admire the sunrise – if desired from your bunk, pack up gear and descend at a sensible pace down the trail to Wuling. Travel back home.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
- Weekdays - approximately 210 USD
- Weekend day - approximately 290 USD.
- Application for permits, accommodation and insurance can not be started until we have received the deposit and your ARC/passport details (note deadlines)
- If the trip is canceled due to not winning the permit lottery, typhoons, etc. we will refund the deposit minus costs (approximately USD 500) beyond our control, but offer this as credit for future activities
- If the trip is canceled by the customer the deposit not refunded
- We have discounts for groups
- USD 2000 deposit in advance is necessary, rest - at end of trip.
Also see tour packages in:
Outdoor: Land Rambler
Hiking & Trekking