Sounkyo is a small village to the north east of Asahi Dake. It sits in a spectacular gorge surrounded by columnar basalt spires and the imposing peaks of Daisetsusan National Park. Prominent among these peaks is Kuro Dake (Black Mountain), which rises to 1984 m and is at the top of the ski area. The village has a two month mid winter snow and ice festival that is one of Hokkaido's most famous winter attractions. As well as that the thermal waters of the valley provide hot spring baths for the many hotels and inns that are in or near the village. For skiers, this almost European style village offers a superb setting for some adventure skiing.
Although there are fewer lifts, the area collects the powder from the northwest as it blows over the highest mountains in Hokkaido providing superb quality snow. There is also excellent access for back country skiers to climb and ski Mt. Kuro Dake. Superb off piste powder and a liberal attitude to off piste skiing make this area one of Hokkaido's prime powder skiing destinations. Sounkyo does cater for all levels of skier from beginner to intermediate. However, to ski the lift assisted powder runs and back country bowls you need to be of an intermediate to advanced level in your skiing.
- Sounkyo is serviced by one gondola and one lift only and does not offer resort facilities such as ski school or comprehensive ski hire
- The lifts, although not as exposed as Asahi Dake, can close in bad weather and there are no ticket refunds in the event of closure
- During severe weather caution is required above the lift line due to white out, extreme cold and possible blizzard conditions.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
- 18 nights accommodation Japanese style twin share
- 14 dinners and 18 breakfast
- Lunches while at Asahi Dake and Tokachi but not on transfer days
- 2 day lift passes at Furano
- 2 day lift passes at Kamui
- 1 day lift pass at Nukabira, Tomamu and Asahi Dake
- All transfers from either Chitose or Asahikawa airport and back
- Japanese speaking tour escort and guide
- Suit intermediate to experienced skiers.
About This Supplier
Joined InfoHub: Feb 2010
Client Request Served: 12
At M20074 we are passionate about exploring Japan and have been doing so now for 30 years. Whether it is cycle touring Japan, skiing in Japan or walking in Japan our passion to explore Japan has shown us the extraordinary possibilities that exist in the far corners of this enigmatic land for authentic adventure...
View this supplier profile | Submit your review
Please take this quick survey and tell us, in your opinion, how original is this trip?
Also see tour packages in:
Outdoor: Mountain Ranger
Skiing & Snowboarding
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend