Tour dates: May 18 to 25, 2013.
This beautiful island will captivate the spirit of painting within you! Full of floral and sea and landscape combinations, we will be immersed in composition and color theory. From palm trees to sublime beaches and mountainous regions, we have developed a 7 day program that will be unforgettable. One-on-one painting and drawing instruction.
Our artists and their guests will have inspiring views throughout this incredible island of natural beauty. Kauai embraces the senses like no other destination. It is justly called the “Garden Isle” and most closely brings us back to the Hawaii of old. From lush landscapes to beautiful beaches to enchanted coastal regions, we will be painting aspects that almost form a dreamscape in the imagination. The staggering beauty of this “Hawaii’s Island of Discovery” captivates the artist.
Kauai doesn’t have big highways or over-crowding. It is old fashioned Hawaii. You will need a car if you choose to go off the hotel property to paint. A car will also give you the freedom to go and explore the island and its culture…as well as paint in some incredible places.
This workshop covers:
- small groups of only about 10 to 12 artists
- for painters using oils or acrylics - exercises painting with the palette knife
- work in oils, pastels, watercolors or drawing
- composition in art and perspective drills
- adding figures to your paintings
- painting demonstrations everyday
- one-on-one instruction for beginners to advanced
- we will concentrate on speed in painting
- color theory for the different morning and afternoon light
- improving drawing skills.
Kauai Workshop includes:
- 7 nights, 8 days; hotel located on the waterfront of the completely renovated Sheraton Kauai; Garden View rooms; upgrades to Ocean View available at an additional cost
- Island tour with a professional touring company on Day 2 of the workshop – bring cameras!
- Transportation to/from airport . Consider a rental car to go to additional painting sites
- $250 food & beverage credit per person to be used at specific meals times for the entire week
- Gala Farewell Dinner – A special Event!
- Sheraton Resort Charge is included for all 7 days - entitles you to morning Oceanfront Yoga, use of Tennis Courts & Ocean Fitness Center, Mai tai Punch Hour with Hawaiian entertainment, parking, and much more
- Mai-tai reception Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Friday
- Free day to explore the island on your own; some possibilities include National Tropical Botanical Garden, the only tropical botanical garden in the U.S. chartered by Congress. OR…for the outdoor-enthusiast guest, fly fishing for bone fish and other deep-sea fish – here you will find some of the best fishing in the South Pacific.
- Gratuities for front desk staff and drivers included.
- Workshop Price double occupancy: $2,675 Artists/$2,375 Non-painting Guests
- Single supplement is $475
- Air transportation
- Transportation or fees for other activities except as listed above
- Car rental
- Gratuity for hotel housekeeping/wait staff
- Laundry services
- Bar services, wines, waters, etc.
You will each have $250 of food and beverage credit. This credit is for use at specific meal times at the hotel.
Day 1: Arrival and check-in ; late afternoon painting demonstration by Sam D'Ambruoso on the grounds of the Kauai Sheraton. Artists should plan to paint for the afternoon. Artists’ goals and the six items that make a great painting are discussed in length. Join us for cocktails 7:00 pm and plan to have dinner at the hotel.
Day 2: Today we get to know Kauai. A professional touring company will take us along Kauai's east coast and a ride up the Wailua River to the famed Fern Grotto. Your land tour includes views of the Sleeping Giant, Hanalei Bay, Taro Fields, Anini Beach and the Princeville area. Sugar cane fields and remnants of the old plantation days dot your route and knowledgeable tour guides add to your viewing experience with tales of Kauai’s past.
Your adventure continues with a leisurely riverboat ride to Fern Grotto. At the Wailua Marina, your guide will direct you to a flat bottom motor launch for your journey up Hawaii’s longest navigable river. This beautiful lava cavern forms a natural amphitheater with excellent acoustics. At the grotto, keeping with island custom, a chorus will serenade you with the traditional Hawaiian Wedding Song. Your tour concludes with a visit to Kauai's most northern point, the Kilauea Lighthouse.
Day 3: Another demo in early morning light not too early on hotel grounds. For those that want to travel to other locations we can do final critiques (if you want them) in the late afternoon. We will have some recommended places for painting. You will have seen some of the places on our first excursion. We will have maps and driving instructions to other places. I will also be out there at one location.
Day 4: Same drill as Monday.
Day 5: Optional free day: Consider a trip to the National Tropical Botanical Garden located in Lawai Valley – it is the only tropical botanical garden in the U.S. to be chartered by Congress. The tour of the grounds, ablaze with a multitude of plants and flowers, includes ancient Hawaiian stone walls and taro terraces. OR…for that outdoor enthusiast guest, how about fly fishing for bone fish? Some of the best bone fishing right here in Kauai. Marlin, ahi, ono, and aku are found in abundance off Kauai's south and east coasts. There also are special charters available that will carry you near the private island of Niihau for giant tuna and marlin.
Day 6: Painting Demo at the hotel. We will have other recommended painting sites.
Day 7: Last painting day in Kauai; pick your spots for painting. Be back at 4pm for an overall review and critique of the weeks work. Join us for a farewell dinner featuring an award-winning Hawaiian Luau!
Day 8: Checkout and departure.
- Daily Breakfast at the hotel, most Lunches or Dinners provided as noted; otherwise on your own to enjoy all the fabulous restaurants in Kauai
- Optional day off to sightsee: (cost is on your own and arranged through a public touring company)
- One on one painting instruction and demos daily
- Transportation to and from airports and all painting sites included.
Also see tour packages in:
USA Hawaii Artistry Painting Garden Tours