- Marrakech - Koutoubia Mosque, UNESCO listed site; Djemâa el-Fna, souks
- High Atlas mountains
- Gorge du Dades - “Valley of Roses”
- Todra Gorge
- Erg Chebbi sand dunes - beginning of the Sahara
- Merzouga - camel trek, Berber style camp
- Aït Benhaddou
- Essaouira fishing village & beach.
Day 1: Marrakech. Welcome to Morocco! Following your transfer from the airport to our joining hotel in the heart of Marrakech, make the most of your first day and explore the souks and Djemaa El Fna (the legendary main square). Be sure to be at the hotel for the pre-departure meeting at 18.00 where you will meet your fellow travelers.
Day 2: Gorges du Dades. Marrakech - Gorges du Dades: Leaving Marrakech, we drive through the striking Dades Valley, which extends from the High Atlas to the Jebel Sahro range in the south, to reach the Gorge du Dades. With towering red cliffs, winding streams and ancient Kasbahs, the Gorge du Dades is incredibly beautiful and a fitting start to this adventure tour.
Day 3: Todra Gorge. Gorges du Dades - Todra Gorge: Explore the magnificent Todra Gorge today. This dusty red canyon is just 10 m wide at its narrowest point, with its cliff walls towering 300 m above and a small glacier stream flowing through it. Enjoy a trek through the gorge or for the more adventurous, try some optional rock climbing!
Day 4: Sahara Desert. Todra Gorge - Sahara Desert: Today we drive to Erg Chebbi where sand dunes signal the start of the awe inspiring Sahara Desert. Leaving our vehicle, we take a camel trek into the vast and silent Sahara desert to a Berber camp. This evening we enjoy local food in the camp and spend an amazing night sleeping under the Saharan stars – an experience of a lifetime.
Day 5: Ouarzazate. Sahara Desert - Ouarzazate: Leaving the desert, we travel through the verdant Draa valley, along the route of 1000 Kasbahs, a beautiful landscape. We continue on to Ouarzazate, which African traders once used on their journeys up to Europe. It has also been used as a film set, for Alexander the Great, The Last Temptation of Christ and The Living Daylights. (Breakfast, lunch, dinner and overnight - Ouarzazate).
Day 6: Ait Benhaddou. Aït Benhaddou - Marrakech: We head to Aït Benhaddou, a ‘fortified city’, situated along the former caravan route between the Sahara and Marrakech. It is situated on a hill along the Ouarzazate River and boasts some beautiful examples of kasbahs, some of which remain inhabited. Granted UNESCO World Heritage listing, the site had been the setting for many films including Lawrence of Arabia and Gladiator. We then travel over the high Atlas Mountains on our way to Marrakech. (Breakfast, lunch, dinner and overnight - Marrakech).
Day 7: Marrakech. Marrakech: Enjoy a guided tour of Marrakech this morning with free time in the afternoon to explore independently. Within the rose-coloured walls of the Medina you find a reality that is not that far removed from a film set: winding streets that open onto lush gardens and dark alleyways that lead to bustling souks. The focal point is the central square, the Djemâa-el-Fna, an extraordinary gathering point and market place. Full of colour, spicy aromas and traders, it is best seen in the evening when overflowing with food stalls, dancers, acrobats, fortune tellers, musicians and henna artists.
Day 8: Essaouira. Days 8 - 9: Marrakech - Essaouira: This morning we take a leisurely drive to Essaouira; a colourful fishing town situated within 15th century Portuguese fortifications, where great beaches and surf beckon. Relax on the beach or alternatively explore the UNESCO-listed Medina with its various souks and woodcarving workshops. Any city gate leads to the Medina, so you’re unlikely to get lost.
The beach is in front of the Medina and there are plenty of cafés with terraces, both ideal for relaxing for a few hours. Blue doors and window frames abound as do the artists shops – buy a carpet or Thuya wood carving or sit on the beach sipping a mint tea as the sun sets, an antidote to the bustle of the Imperial cities. There is the opportunity to do some optional activities, such as quad biking, surfing, horse trekking and wind surfing or you can just simply sit on the beach and relax!
Day 10: Marrakech. Essaouira - Marrakech: After a relaxing morning in Essaouira, we head back to Marrakech for the final night. We all go out for a group meal and celebrate the end of a successful tour!
Day 11: Marrakech. Marrakech - Final departure: The tour ends after breakfast, and you can spend the last few hours soaking up the rich Marrakech culture before hotel checkout at 12 noon.
- Arrival and transfer from Marrakech airport
- Full Board: 10 Breakfasts, 7 lunches, 6 dinners inc. a Berber camp dinner
- 9 nights 3* hotel
- Transport in 4x4 Land Cruiser or Mini Van
- Guided tour of Marrakech
- Gorge du Dades walk
- Services of 1 or 2 person crew (leader and driver)
- Berber camp
- Sahara camel trek
- All road taxes and tolls.
Visa Information: Visas are not required for British, Australian, New Zealand, Canadian, US and other EU nationals for a stay of up to 3 months. Please ensure your passport is valid for six months after your return date and that you get your passport stamped upon entry into Morocco. All other nationalities should contact the Moroccan embassy for details. Visas are your responsibility. Don’t forget to check!
- Travel insurance
- Tipping kitty ($50)
- Optional activities
- Lunch x 2, Dinner x 4 and spending money
- Tips for our crew (this is completely at your discretion).
- Rock climbing in Todra Gorge (1 hour = 250 DH , 2 hours = 390 DH)
- Hammam spa in Marrakech (prices from 150 DH)
- Horse riding in Essaouira (1 hour = 250 DH, 2 hours = 300DH, 3 hours = 390 DH)
- Quadbiking in Essaouira (2 hours = 590 DH, 2 hours for 2 pax = 690 DH)
- Quadbiking in Ouarzazate (2 hours = 590 DH, 2 hours for 2 pax = 690 DH)
- Movie studio visit in Ouarzazate (30 minutes = 50 DH)
- Windsurfing in Essaouira (2 hours = 600 DH)
- Surfing in Essaouira (2 hours = 350 DH)
- Kayaking in Essaouira (2 hours = 300 DH)
- Kite surfing in Essaouira (2 hours = 600 DH)
- Hot air balloon ride over the High Atlas mountains (2000 DH)
- Ourika Valley activities in Marrakech (dependent on local river conditions)
- Canyoning – All year round (half day = 660 DH)
- Tubing – Approx. Nov-Dec & Apr-May (half day = 660 DH)
- Rafting – Approx. Jan-Mar (half day = 660 DH).
(DH = Moroccan Dirham).
Also see tour packages in:
Africa Morocco Outdoor: Land Rambler Desert Expeditions