KL (Konzentrationslager) Auschwitz was established in 1940 in the suburbs of town of Oświecim-a Polish town annexed to the Third Reich(then the name of the town was changed to Auschwitz). Auschwitz become a symbol of genocide, terror and the holocaust. The precise number of deaths at the camp is unclear, but well over a million people were systematically killed in a gas chambers, or were hanged or shot or died of disease or exhaustion. Most of the victims were Jews brought here from 1941 to 1944 from all around Europe. In addition to Jews thousands of POWs, including many Poles. Russians and Gypsies were exterminated here too. In 1947 Concentration Camp was turned into a Museum-Memorial by the Polish Parliament, in 1979 was entered on the UNESCO World Heritage List. During the tour groups of tourists visit the main part of the camp Auschwitz I and the camp Auschwitz II Birkenau. Tour duration is approx. 4 hours.
- Transfer from the hotel, apartments, city centre, meeting point (about 1 hour 20 minutes)
- Guided tour in the Auschwitz Camp (about 2,5 hours)
- Transfer to the Birkenau Camp (about 3km)
- Visiting of the Birkenau Camp (about 1-1,5 hours)
- Transfer back to Krakow (about 1hour 20 minutes).
Tour duration about 7 hours.
Ticket for a tour not included.
Also see tour packages in:
Europe Poland History Whiz Archeology/History