On our Heaphy Unplugged support package we look after the detail so you can enjoy the ride! We'll organise your transport and accommodation, carry and prepare your meals, take care of safety and even look after your bike (if you hire one of ours) leaving you free to ride and enjoy New Zealand’s premier multi-day single track in your own time and at your own pace.
- Grade 3-4 Suitable for riders with a minimum of intermediate mountain biking skills. The track is technical and rocky in parts with steep slopes, exposed sections and frequent creek crossings. Winter riding conditions can increase riding level to a Grade 4+ when factoring distance and remoteness.
- Fitness: A good level of mountain biking fitness and experience is required.
- 3 Days mountain biking - two half days and one full day. 16-45 km per day.
- Transport: Vehicle transport from Takaka to the start of the track and from the track end at Kohaihai to Karamea. We have designed and built our own bike racks/trailer specifically with taking good care of your bike in mind.
- Food: We will transport and cater delicious and nutritious meals and snacks from lunch on day-1 to breakfast on day-3.
- Support: We’ll take care of all your logistics including first aid, safety and let you in on a bit of local knowledge.
- Accommodation: Two nights in bunk style DOC Huts.
Day 1: We will meet you at our base in Takaka at 8am where we’ll check that you have all the gear you need and if required we’ll set you up on one of our new full suspension mountain bikes. We’ll grab a coffee and head off to the Heaphy trailhead. From there it’s on our bikes and gently uphill on benched tracks through ancient beech forests to Perry Saddle hut at 880m. Relax and unwind by the fire while we prepare dinner! 17.5 kms, 3-5 hours
Day 2: Following a hearty breakfast we head off across the open tussock country of Gouland Downs. A short climb and some lovely riding will build a healthy appetite for lunch at MacKay Hut. The afternoon begins with a 12 km fun downhill through west coast subtropical forest and ultimately out to the sea and Heaphy Hut amidst massive nikau palms. Take a walk on the beach before dinner while the sun sinks into the Tasman Sea. 44.5 kms, 6-8 hours
Day 3: The last section of this spectacular ride snakes its way in and out of wild west coast beaches and ancient groves of nikau palms. Our transport will meet us at Kohaihai to take us into Karamea Town. 16.2kms, 2-4 hours.
Note: We can help you to arrange hot showers and lunch at the end of your trip and also onward transport or accommodation in Karamea.
Bike & rack hire: $250, rack hire (if bringing your own bike): $45, minimum 3.
Also see tour packages in:
Australia and Oceania New Zealand Outdoor: Land Rambler Bicycle Touring
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend