- Start & finish: Starts daily with Whitstable as the base. Whitstable is 1.5 hours by train from Victoria or St Pancras, London
- Accommodation: A fisherman's hut on the beach at Whitstable with 1 double and 1 twin/double sea view rooms, a kitchen, bathroom and small decked veranda. Breakfast is included both days.
- Cycling mileage: 2 days of cycling. 10 - 15 miles or more ( 16 - 24 km) per day
- Grade out of 5 based on distance and elevation: 1
- Terrain: Flat
- Traffic free: Very largely.
From your home on the beach, famed for its oysters, there is wonderful gentle pedalling adjacent to the sea and along the coast. Enjoy The Turner Contemporary at Margate, the mysterious shell grotto and several step back in time moments. Ride inland too along the old Saxon shore and along the best medieval street in England to Faversham with 500 listed buildings, a barge lined creek and its vibrant art and design community.
Day 1: Arrive Whitstable. Arrive in Whitstable and settle into your 150 year old fisherman's hut on the beach. Your cycling equipment will be waiting for you should you want to explore by bike. The harbour is around the corner, oysters are everywhere and the town is charming.
Day 2: Whitstable to Margate and back, 15 or 30 miles (24 or 48 km). This is one of the best rides you could imagine - riding beside the sea with the cliffs at your elbow and the wind in your face. Think breakwaters, bandstand, Roman towers and tidal swimming pool. It's a gentle jaunt to Margate where The Turner Contemporary crosses your path and welcomes you in for free.. Leave time for the inexplicable shell grotto, a trawl through the vintage in the town's shops and a step back in time tea in the family run hotel and museum. Return to Whitstable by bike or hop briefly on the train if you've had enough.
Day 3: Whitstable to Faversham and back, 10 or 20 miles (16 or 32 km). Today offers the option of a different scene as you follow the old Saxon shore with its often remote atmosphere and rich maritime history. Enter Faversham along a remarkable medieval street to discover its creek lined with barges, its many Georgian buildings and its gunpowder history. Take in the art and design community and gallery at Creek Creative before you return to Whitstable by bike or train hop. Leave your bikes for us to collect and depart.
- Price: £215 per person based on four adults sharing a fisherman's hut. Weekend supplements will apply.
About This Supplier
Also see tour packages in:
Europe England Outdoor: Land Rambler Bicycle Touring Cultural Journey
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend