Let us take you on a bike vacation across the Eastern Balkan. Discover one of the mountains in South Europe where different people found their safe home in hard times. There is a lot to see, enough to try and enough to get. Dive in the heart of a multiethnic rural area, keeping old traditions and curious customs of the locals. Cycle the beautiful mountainous region revealing unique natural and cultural places.
1. The Hub on Ticha Lake is in the northern part of Balkan mountain close to the medieval capital of Bulgaria Veliki Preslav popular with its amazing landscape park. Preslav flourished in 10th century as one of the greatest European centers of the Christianity becoming a cradle of the Cyrillic literature. Veliki Preslav is situated in the middle of a highly appreciated wine growing region and cycling around immediately takes you among vineyards and you could not to miss wine tasting stops en route. The low-mountainous area attracts with quite roads, vast woods, several historical monuments, lakes and picturesque villages emphasizing the pastoral scenery.
2. Medven Hub -Placed deep in the woody Eastern Balkan Mountain and keeping the traditional outlook of the 19th century Bulgarian revival architecture, the Hub in the village of Medven provides a great chance for many activities. Amazing waterfalls, hidden abysses and little known caves are scattered in the karstic area of Zlosten, which arises between the meandering Luda and Golyama Kamchia rivers. Most of the neighboring settlements are sightseeing themselves because of the preserved traditions, diverse ethnic and religious composition, architecture and divine nature.Relax your mind in a real wonderland separated from the surrounding lowlands enjoying the famous local Gypsy music bands carrying the spirit of the romantic atmosphere. The adjacent to the Balkan Provadia Plateau shelters our hub in the vilage of Mogila. A nice and cozy guest house is a part of well-maintained family farm, so here you could enjoy the peace and quite of the farm life in Bulgaria as well as the cycling trips. If Planning your own itinerary you may take part in some of the daily farmers’ duties of course. The pleasant bike spokes from Mogila follow predominantly hilly terrain going from one plateau to another. Admire the great panoramic views stunning rocks and legendary historic sites, such as the Unesco Heritage "Madara Rider", ruins of Pliska and the fortress of Ovech.
Natural Highlights are:
- Gorge of Kamchia River
- Ticha Lake
- Kotlenska Mountain
- Sini Vir Waterfall
- Skala Lakes
- Canyon of Provadiiska River
- Shumensko Plateau Natural Park
Cultural Highlights are:
- Veliki Preslav Archeological Site
- Preslav medieval golden treasure
- Madara Rider Monument - UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Pliska Archeological Site
- Osmar Rock Monasteries
- Village of Zheravna
- Old town of Kotel
Traditions & Lifestyle Highlights are:
- Alevi festivals in Yablanovo
- Gypsy music of Kotel
- Eastern Balkan cuisine
- Osmar and Preslav wineries
- Eastern Balkan wooden architecture
- Kabiyuk Studfarm
Possible Itinerary of the spokes:
Day 1 from the Ticha Lake Hub to Osmar
Day 2 from Ticha Lake to Yablanovo
Day 3 Preslav Mountain & Gerlovo round trip
Day 1 Luda Kamchia round trip
Day 2 from Medven to Kotel Pass
Day 3 from Medven to Zheravna
Day 1 from Mogila to Kiulevcha
Day 2 from Mogila to Provadia
Day 3 from Mogila to Pliska.
The region of our Hubs provides chances for some other activities you may choose at your vacation.Enjoy Horse riding,Farming, Traditional cooking; Live music bands;Boat trips and bird watching.
Also see tour packages in:
Europe Bulgaria Outdoor: Land Rambler Bicycle Touring Cultural Journey
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend