European Black Sea region combines mild coastal climate, predominantly easy to ride steppe terrain and diverse cultural heritage, due to the oldest land route to Europe used by the spreading civilizations of the Ancient Middle East. We present to you a selection of hotels, specialized in outdoor activities and also attractive with their old-fashion Bulgarian style and relaxing traditional atmosphere.
1.The hub at the village of Bulgarevo is an entrance to Kaliakra reserve, which includes vast steppes, coastal cliffs and canyons and even sea aquatory. Northern wild areas spread to the town of Mangalia in Romania and the beautiful towns of Balchik and Kavarna are nested on the fabulous southern coast. This combination appoints the variety of attractions you could enjoy choosing Bulgarevo. Excellent opportunities for diving, horse-riding, birdwatching, golf, fishing, long-distance cycling, yachting. The neighboring town of Kavarna annually hosts a number of influential rock & metal live music events.
2.The Kalimantzi Hub offers you to explore the nearby area by cycling on wonderful dirt roads. The thick net of such roads, locally known as “dobrujanski asphalt” is specific for this region and entirely covers the Upper Suha Reka valley, surrounding plateau and the sandy area of the natural phenomenon Pobiti Kamani. Here you could touch the Bulgarian rural culture in its live version and even take part in it. The ultimate attraction is the adjacent to your accommodation pigeon farm where international pigeon races are held. Cycle around the rich surroundings ancient Greek Odessus and Roman Marcianopolis. Admire the flat terrain, romantic coastline and a lot of cultural traces from various civilizations next to the Black Sea coast and its pearl - the sea capital Varna, where you may find a lot of cultural, beach and nightlife attractions.
3. The hotel in the village of Mogila at the foothills of Provadia Plateau gives you enough opportunities to find out and learn more about this important civilization crossroad situated between Bay of Varna and Shumen Plateau. From ancient times to the Latin conquest of Constantinople the political centers which existed here were the most influential gate to the Eurasian steppe and Scythia.A nice and cozy guest house is a part of well-maintained family farm, so here you could enjoy the peace and quite of the farm life in Bulgaria as well as the cycling trips. If planning your own itinerary you may take part in some of the daily farmers’ duties of course. The pleasant bike spokes from Mogila follow predominantly hilly terrain going from one plateau to another. Admire the great panoramic views stunning rocks and legendary historic sites, such as the Unesco Heritage "Madara Rider", ruins of Pliska and the fortress of Ovech.
4. The Hub at the coastal settlement of Byala carries the traditions of the former Greek fishing village of Aspro. Byala is placed between two capes where the Balkan Mountain Range ends in the Black Sea. The surrounding hilly region is famous with its vineyards, white cliffs and beaches. You’ll find many bike paths in this spectacular landscape or make cycling day trips to nearby sightseeing like Kamchia Biosphere Reserve or Irakli Protected Area and Emine Cape.
The real charm of the hub is hidden in the villages of Yunec, Emona and Gorica , where you’ll have a warm welcome in our friends’ houses for lunch, coffee break or a glass of home-made wine.
Natural Highlights are:
- Pobiti Kamani Stone phenomena - tentative list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- Golden Sands Natural Park
- Cape Kaliakra and Kaliakra reserve
- Coastal cliff area Taukliman - Shabla
- Durankulak Lake
Cultural Highlights are:
- Balchik – old town and the Queen Mary Palace
- Varna – historical center
- Varna Golden Treasure
- Yailata Archeological site
- Euxinograd Royal Palace
- Devnia – Marcianopolis
- Aladja Rock Monastery
- Town of Kavarna and cape Chirakman
- Archeological site on Small island of Durankulak
Traditions & Lifestyle Highlights are:
- Bulgarian rural culture of Suha Reka area
- Dalboka mussel farm
- Dobrudja traditional cuisine
- Coastal botanical gardens.
Possible Itinerary of the spokes:
Day 1 from Bulgarevo to Balchik
Day 2 Kaliakra – Chirakman round trip
Day 3 from Bulgarevo to Durankulak
Day 4 from Bulgarevo to Shabla
Day 1 from Kalimantsi to Euxinograd
Day 2 from Kalimantsi to Devnia
Day 3 Pobiti Kamani round trip
Day 4 Suha Reka round trip
Day 1 from Mogila to Kiulevcha
Day 2 from Mogila to Provadia
Day 3 from Mogila to Pliska
Day 1 form Byala to Gorica
Day 2 from Byala to Emona
Day 3 from Byala to Yunec
The Hubs provides as well as cycling many other additional activities which you may choose during your vacation. Enjoy fishing/spear fishing, diving, farming, traditional cooking, trekking, boat trips, golf and birdwatching.
Also see tour packages in:
Europe Bulgaria Outdoor: Land Rambler Bicycle Touring National Parks
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend