About half of Greenland’s 55,000 inhabitants live in the large towns along the west coast. Kangerlussuaq (Sondre Stromfjord) is the main airport of the region having regularly scheduled service from Denmark as well as connections to other areas in West Greenland. It is the best area to see the Arctic wild life as well as the Greenland Ice Cap. It is also a main embarkation and disembarkation point for passengers traveling on Greenland’s “Coastal Steamer”.
There is quite a fascination in the mixture of the old and new that now has become part of Greenland’s landscape. A short air flight further north of the Arctic Circle from Kangerlussuaq is the town of Ilulissat (Jakobshavn) known for its gigantic icebergs, fast moving glaciers and its location on Disko Bay. This area is also very historic with isolated settlements dating from 1734 which can still be visited today. There are not many animals in this area but bird and fish abound. Mainly because of the unpredictability of the weather and the short span of light days, the touring season to West Greenland is shorter than that of other parts of Greenland. These tours only start and end in Copenhagen, Denmark.
There are many local excursions to choose from in West Greenland. Please see the list following the tour. These excursions can only be ordered and paid for during your stay and operate based on weather and capacity restrictions. Your “Destination Guides” are on hand to assist you at your hotel with information on the excursions.
Note: There is a four-hour time difference between Denmark and Greenland. The flight time between Copenhagen and Kangerlussuaq is about 5 hours.
Kangerlussuaq has proved not only to be an airport and a gateway into Greenland, the area actually has much to offer:
- Greenland Wildlife: Kangerlussuaq is the best area in Greenland to spot Arctic wildlife - close to the hotel you often see reindeer and musk oxen!
- The Inland Ice Cap: No other destination in Greenland offers this easy access to the Inland Ice Cap - here we drive by 4x4 vehicle directly to the amazing Ice Cap.
- Fantastic weather: The location approx. 160km from the coast makes Kangerlussuaq one of the most weather stable destinations in Greenland with lots of sunshine.
Ilulissat: You will get familiar with a modern Greenlandic town north of the Polar Circle & experience the unique Disko Bay:
- Calving Glaciers & Gigantic Icebergs: Majestic Icebergs are situated in the fiord right outside the town and are experienced at close range on our Midnight Cruises or during full day excursions where we cruise close to the impressive glacier of Eqip.
- Isolated Settlements: On other excursions we sail to small and remote settlements, where "the old world" and the Greenlandic hunters are still to be experienced.
- Helicopter Excursion: Over the UNESCO designated Ilulissat Ice Fiord & its gigantic icebergs to the Ilulissat Glacier.
Day 1: Copenhagen - Kangerlussuaq. Morning departure on Air Greenland from Copenhagen to Kangerlussuaq with lunch onboard. Upon arrival, you are met and escorted to Hotel Kangerlussuaq for check-in followed by an Information Meeting. Optional excursions available today. Please see list following.
Day 2: Kangerlussuaq - Ilulissat. Breakfast at hotel. Depart for Ilulissat on Air Greenland. Transfer to Hotel Arctic (Superior Room) for check-in and Information Meeting. Many optional excursions are available during your stay. Please see list following.
Day 3: Ilulissat. Breakfast at the hotel. Your Destination Guide is there to assist you in planning your day.
Day 4: Ilulissat. Breakfast at the hotel. Day at leisure or more optional tours available.
Day 5: Ilulissat - Kangerlussuaq - Copenhagen. Breakfast at the hotel. Transfer to airport for departure on Air Greenland to Kangerlussuaq and on to Copenhagen with lunch onboard. Evening arrival in Copenhagen.
Note: It is also possible to take 7 day versions of this tour.
About This Supplier
Also see tour packages in:
Europe Denmark Greenland Arctic Outdoor: Mountain Ranger Glacier Tours
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend