- Tour Price (Per Person): €3,360 * £2,460 * USD 3,700 * ZAR 50,820
- Single Supplement: €270 * £200 * USD 295 * ZAR 4,060
Day 1: Arrival in Addis Ababa
Day 2: Addis Ababa to Debre Birhan via Gemasa Geden
Day 3: Debre Birhan to Addis Ababa via the Jemma Valley
Day 4: Addis Ababa to Awassa
Day 5: Awassa to Goba
Day 6: Goba and excursion to Sof Omar
Day 7: Goba and excursion into the Bale Mountain National Park
Day 8: Goba to Negele via the Bale Mountain National Park
Day 9: Negele and the road to Bogol Manyo
Day 10: Negele to Yabello
Day 11: Yabello area
Day 12: Yabello to Shashemene
Day 13: Shashemene to Addis Ababa and depart
Single Supplement: The single supplement cost for this tour will be charged if you wish to have single accommodation. If RBT cannot provide you with a rooming partner for these nights although you choose to share, the single supplement will become applicable. We will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that a rooming partner is found if you do wish to share.
- Due to constantly fluctuating exchange rates, we quote our tours in 4 currencies. The tour price is however fixed only in the currency printed in bold (US$), and the actual cost in the other currencies listed will be adjusted according to prevailing exchange rates at the time of final invoicing (usually 4 months before the tour.) The same applies to approximate flight and single supplement rates, which are also quoted in the respective fixed currency.
- Rates are based upon group tariffs; if the tour does not have sufficient registration a small party supplement will have to be charged.
- Furthermore, these costs are subject to unforeseen increases in tour related costs and may have to be adjusted as a result.
- Lastly, we may be forced to change or alter the itinerary and / or the designated leader/s at short or no notice due to unforeseen circumstances; please be aware that we will attempt to adhere as close to the original program as possible.
Tipping: As noted above, gratuities (drivers, hotel staff, restaurants etc.) are included on this tour. However, this does NOT include your leader/s. Therefore, if you feel that he/they have given you excellent service, it is entirely appropriate to tip them.
- It can be very hot in some areas, especially in the extreme south, whilst the highland areas can get cold especially at night and light rain may be experienced in the Bale Mountains.
- On our visits to the Bale Mountains we get up to 4,200 m (13,780 ft) above sea level, but very little walking is done at this altitude.
- There are several long, all day drives on this Ethiopia trip but we will take regular rest stops and birding stops to break the long journeys. The longest drives are Awassa to Goba, Goba to Negele, Negele to Yabello and Yabello to Shashemene and, although they are lengthy, they are scenic and full of interesting waypoints! The drive to Sof Omar can also take a long time, depending on road conditions, so a very early departure is necessary.
- Road conditions in Ethiopia are highly variable and dirt roads can be quite bumpy and very dusty, something that is simply not avoidable. It is advisable to bring a handkerchief that can be tied around your face to cover your nose and mouth. Although an extreme case scenario, persons with back troubles should probably bring back-braces to ensure comfort on bumpy roads.
- Due to potential security issues we cannot guarantee that the day trip to Bogol Mayo will go ahead. We will asses the security situation at the time and plan accordingly.
- Accommodation throughout the trip is generally comfortable but can be very basic in some areas. The accommodation in the extreme south of the country at Negele (2 nights) is relatively basic. Please note that the hotels that we make use of are always the best available accommodations in most areas visited (exceptions are in places like Addis where there are very expensive luxury hotels that we tend to avoid).
- The food in Ethiopia is generally fairly basic and consists of western and local cuisine. We will also enjoy many “bush breakfasts and lunches” on the side of the road whilst in good birding areas. This will occur mainly in the remote south and north of the country and will be prepared by our very able drivers. Although rather basic, these meals are often a highlight of any tour to Ethiopia.
Arrival and Departure Details: You may arrive in Addis Ababa anytime you wish on day 1 as this is an arrival day. Further meeting details in this regard will be forwarded to you in due course. The tour will conclude in Addis Ababa after farewell dinner on the evening of day 13.
Note: If you wish to arrive early and/or depart late for either the main tour or the extension and would like assistance or advice in this regard, kindly contact our office.
Flights: Bole Airport in Addis Ababa is the main port of entry for international flights into Ethiopia and is well serviced by British Airways and Ethiopian Airways. We have the capacity to advise you on the best route according to your preferences, but your local travel agent will best be able to book these flights for you. Important: please do not book your international flights until you have consulted our office for confirmation on the status of the tour.
Please note: these prices are subject to foreign exchange fluctuations. Excludes international flights.
Also see tour packages in:
Africa Ethiopia Nature & Wildlife Birdwatching Wildlife Viewing