The bulk of our time will be spent exploring the moss-draped forests of the Chin Hills in the vicinity of Mount Victoria. These mountains form part of the Eastern Himalayas, an endemic-rich bird region where several species seen only by a handful of intrepid birders occur. These include the endemic White-browed Nuthatch, Mount Victoria Babax, Chin Hills Wren-Babbler and a chance for the mythical Blyth’s Tragopan. Our final destination will be the southern Shan State situated in the hills of central Burma. Here we visit the sparkling Inle Lake to search for the endemic Collared Myna, Black-headed Greenfinch and other specialties. After birding the deciduous forests around Kalaw for Burmese Yuhina, another highly localized species, plus a good selection of other hill forest birds, our exploration of this fascinating land will come to a close.
- Tour Price (Per Person): €4,470 * £3,260 * USD 4,950 * ZAR 67,480
- Single Supplement: €340 * £250 * USD 375 * ZAR 5,120
- Flights (Approx cost): US$350.
Day 1: Arrival in Yangon and visit Shwedagon Pagoda
Day 2: Yangon to Bagan
Day 3: Bagan area
Day 4: Bagan to Mt. Victoria
Days 5-8: Mt. Victoria area
Day 9: Mt. Victoria to Bagan
Day 10: Bagan to Kalaw
Day 11: Kalaw area
Day 12: Kalaw to Inle
Day 13: Inle area and flight back to Yangon via Heho
Day 14: Yangon area (Hlawga Park) and depart.
Single Supplement: The single supplement cost for this tour will be charged if you wish to have single accommodation. If RBT cannot provide you with a rooming partner for these nights although you choose to share, the single supplement will become applicable. We will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that a rooming partner is found if you do wish to share.
- Due to constantly fluctuating exchange rates, we quote our tours in 4 currencies. The tour price is however fixed only in the currency printed in bold (US$), and the actual cost in the other currencies listed will be adjusted according to prevailing exchange rates at the time of final invoicing (usually 4 months before the tour.) The same applies to approximate flight and single supplement rates, which are also quoted in the respective fixed currency.
- Rates are based upon group tariffs; if the tour does not have sufficient registration a small party supplement will have to be charged.
- Furthermore, these costs are subject to unforeseen increases in tour related costs and may have to be adjusted as a result.
- Lastly, we may be forced to change or alter the itinerary and / or the designated tour leader/s at short or no notice due to unforeseen circumstances; please be aware that we will attempt to adhere as close to the original program as possible.
Tipping: As noted above, gratuities (drivers, hotel staff, restaurants etc.) are included on this tour. However, this does NOT include our leader/s. If, therefore, you feel that he/they have given you excellent service, it is entirely appropriate to tip them.
- A fair amount of time is spent in vehicles and we do also undertake 3 internal flights, as we do have to cover fair distances in order to get to the best birding areas. The more luggage you pack, the less room there is in the vehicle (plus you may also have to pay for overweight luggage on flights!), so it is important for the comfort of your fellow travellers that you do not over-pack. Kindly stick to 20 kg (44 lbs) for check in luggage and 8 kg (+-18 lbs) for hand luggage.
- Leeches do occur in some of the reserves; encountering them really depends on how much recent rain there has been. If you do have leach socks, it might therefore be a good idea to bring them along; otherwise, tucking your long pants into your socks is usually sufficient to deter them from latching on.
- Fitness: This Myanmar tour does not require a high level of fitness but participants should be in good general health as most of the birding will be done on foot, and may require walking for several hours at a time. However this will generally be done on flat, easy trails and downhill along quiet back-roads. Should you have any physical limitations, please notify us in advance of departure. Please also note that for much of the tour you will be far away from modern medical facilities.
Arrival and Departure Details: The first day of the tour is essentially an arrival day and you are free to arrive at any time on this day. Please note however that lunch on day 1 is included in the tour price and we will do some birding around town in the afternoon, as well as visit the spectacular Shwedagon Pagoda in the early evening of the first day. The tour will conclude after lunch on day 14 in Yangon. It is recommended that you book your international flight to depart no earlier than the late afternoon/early evening on this day. If you wish to arrive early and/or depart late and would like assistance in this regard, kindly contact our office.
Flights: Yangon International Airport (IATA: RGN) is the main port of entry for international flights in Myanmar and is well serviced by many of the world’s major airlines. We have the capacity to advise you on the best route according to your preferences, but your local travel agent will best be able to book these flights for you. We can, however, book the internal flights on your behalf. Important: please do not book your international flights until you have consulted our office for confirmation on the status of the tour.
Please note: these prices are subject to foreign exchange fluctuations. Excludes international flights.
Also see tour packages in:
Asia Myanmar Nature & Wildlife Birdwatching Wildlife Viewing