On Luzon we visit sites for Stripe-headed Rhabdornis, Scale-feathered Malkoha, the sensational Yellow-breasted Fruit Dove, secretive Whiskered Pitta and recently discovered Chocolate Boobook. On Palawan, white sandy beaches, extensive coral reefs and an underground river make a spectacular backdrop for a number of the specials we are likely to find. Highlights include the mound-building Philippine Megapode, Red-bellied and Hooded Pittas, the incredibly beautiful Blue Paradise Flycatcher and glittering Palawan Peacock-Pheasant. Mindanao hosts the largest tracts of remaining lowland forest and here we search for the secretive Wattled Broadbill, Azure-breasted Pitta and beautiful Philippine Trogon. The forested slopes of Mt. Kitanglad are the most reliable site for the magnificent Philippine (Monkey-eating) Eagle, this giant raptor often rated as the world’s single-most desirable bird! Here we will also search for another recently discovered bird, Bukidnon Woodcock, as well as Apo Myna and Giant Scops Owl.
Day 1: Arrival in Manila and transfer to Palawan (Sabang)
Day 2: Palawan (St Paul’s National Park)
Day 3: Palawan (St. Paul’s and Pandan Island)
Day 4: Palawan to Manila
Day 5: Manila to Mindanao and transfer to Mt. Kitinglad
Day 6 - 7: Mt. Kitinglad
Day 8: Mt. Kitinglad to Davao
Day 9: Davao to Bislig (PICOP)
Days 10 to 12: PICOP
Day 13: PICOP to Mt. Makiling via Manila
Day 14: Mt. Makiling
Day 15: Mt. Makiling to Mt. Polis via Candaba Marsh
Day 16: Mt. Polis
Day 17: Mt. Polis to Subic Bay
Day 18: Subic Bay
Day 19: Subic Bay to Manila.
Single Supplement: The single supplement cost for this tour will be charged if you wish to have single accommodation. If we cannot provide you with a rooming partner for these nights although you choose to share, the single Chocolate Hills scenery by David Shackelford RBT Philippines Endemics Itinerary 2016 14 supplement will become applicable. We will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that a rooming partner is found if you do wish to share.
- Due to constantly fluctuating exchange rates, we quote our tours in 4 currencies. The tour price is however fixed only in the currency printed in bold (US$), and the actual cost in the other
currencies listed will be adjusted according to prevailing exchange rates at the time of final invoicing (usually 4 months before the tour.) The same applies to approximate flight and single
supplement rates, which are also quoted in the respective fixed currency.
- Rates are based upon group tariffs; if the tour does not have sufficient registration a small party supplement will have to be charged.
- Furthermore, these costs are subject to unforeseen increases in tour related costs and may have to be adjusted as a result.
- Lastly, we may be forced to change or alter the itinerary and / or the designated tour leader/s at short or no notice due to unforeseen circumstances; please be aware that we will
attempt to adhere as close to the original program as possible.
Tipping: As noted above, gratuities (drivers, hotel staff, restaurants etc.) are included on this tour. However, this does not include our tour leader/s. If, therefore, you feel that he/they have given you excellent service, it is entirely appropriate to tip them.
- In most areas, it will be hot and humid. We will thus make good use of the early mornings and will have a lot of very early starts to avoid, as far as possible, birding in the middle of the day
and in order to reach good birding areas. Furthermore, in the rainforest areas the humidity will be high and potentially uncomfortable.
- This Philippines tour is designed to be an intensive birding experience and we will attempt to get good views of as many bird species as possible. Some days involve long drives.
- This tour does require a good level of fitness and participants should be in good general health and fit as much of the forest birding will be done on foot in remote areas and may require walking for several hours at a time. Furthermore, it is important to note that we will spend most of this tour in remote locations well away from medical facilities. Should you have any physical
limitations or medical conditions please notify us in advance of departure.
- Accommodations are generally good throughout the tour and we will stay either in hotels or guesthouses. Please be aware that at times we may experience maintenance problems in these facilities that are beyond our control. In the smaller towns, while we always opt for the best available accommodation, this is often basic and well below the standard of what you have come to expect from the developed world.
- Much of our time is spent in vehicles, as we do have to cover long distances in order to get to the best areas for birds. The more luggage you pack the less room there is in the vehicle, so it is
important for the comfort of your fellow travellers that you do not over-pack. Kindly stick to 20 kg (44 lb) for check in luggage and 8 kg (+-18 lb) for hand luggage.
Arrival and Departure Details: This tour does not include any airfares. The tour will depart from Manila International Airport (IATA: MNL) on day 1 by 7:00 am; kindly arrive in advance of this time on this day or arrive the day before. Further meeting details in this regard will be forwarded to you in due course. The tour will conclude in the morning of day 19 at Manila International Airport (IATA: MNL). If you wish to arrive early and/or depart late and would like assistance in this regard, kindly contact our office.
Flights: Manila International Airport (IATA: MNL) is the main port of entry for international flights in the Philippines and is most reliably serviced by Cathay Pacific. We have the capacity to advise you on the best route according to your preferences, but your local travel agent will best be able to book these flights for you. We can, however, book the internal flights on your behalf.
Note: please do not book any flights until you have consulted our office for confirmation on the status of the tour.
Please note: these prices are subject to foreign exchange fluctuations.
About This Supplier
Also see tour packages in:
Asia Philippines Nature & Wildlife Birdwatching Wildlife Viewing
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend