Our comprehensive Hawaii birding tour covers the four major islands searching for some of the most critically endangered birds on the planet, while also featuring fantastic scenery and phenomenal underwater life. Some of the top birds of the tour included the bizarre Akiapolaau, endangered Bristle-thighed Curlew, tricky Hawaiian Petrel, elegant White (Fairy) Tern, nesting Laysan Albatross, and of course the charismatic Iiwi. Other endangered endemics include Akohekohe (Crested Honeycreeper), Akikiki (Kauai Creeper), Hawaii and Maui Akepa, and the Critically Endangered Palila.
Join us as we focus on these surviving endemic forest species, seabirds, and other Hawaiian birding specialties, along with the riches of this fabulous chain of picturesque tropical islands!
- Tour Price (Per Person): €5,040 * £3,740 * USD 5,575 * ZAR 79,610
- Single Supplement: €680 * £510 * USD 750 * ZAR 10,710
- Flights (Approx cost): US$520.
Day 1: Arrival in Hilo, Big Island, Hawaii. PM birding at Hilo Ponds and lava flow
Day 2: Saddle Road & Pu`u La`au
Day 3: Hakalau Forest National Wildlife Refuge
Day 4: Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Crater Rim Drive and Chain of Craters Road
Day 5: Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Mauna Loa Road and Chain of Craters Road
Day 6: Depart Big Island, fly to Maui. Kanaha, Kealia ponds and Haleakala Crater
Day 7: Haleakala National Park & Waikamoi Nature Conservancy Preserve
Day 8: Depart Maui, fly to Oahu. Kapiolani Park & Tantalus/Roundtop Loop
Day 9: Laie Point, James Campbell NWR, Kuliouou Valley Trail and seawtaching
Day 10: Depart Oahu, fly to Kauai. Kilauea Point and Hanalei NWR
Day 11: Alakai Wilderness Preserve and surrounds
Day 12: Pelagic and surrounds
Day 13: Alakai Wilderness Preserve and surrounds
Day 14: Depart Kauai, fly to Oahu for final departures
- Due to constantly fluctuating exchange rates, we quote our tours in 4 currencies. The tour price is however fixed only in the currency printed in bold (US$), and the actual cost in the other currencies listed will be adjusted according to prevailing exchange rates at the time of final invoicing (usually 4 months before the tour.) The same applies to approximate flight and single supplement rates, which are also quoted in the respective fixed currency.
- Rates are based upon group tariffs; if the tour does not have sufficient participants, a small party supplement will have to be charged.
- Furthermore, these costs are subject to unforeseen increases in tour related costs and may have to be adjusted as a result.
- Lastly, we may be forced to change or alter the itinerary and / or the designated tour leader/s at short or no notice due to unforeseen circumstances; please be aware that we will attempt to adhere as close to the original program as possible.
Tipping: As noted above, gratuities (drivers, hotel staff, restaurants etc) are included on this tour. However, this does not include our tour leader/s. If, therefore, you feel that he/they have given you
excellent service, it is entirely appropriate to tip them.
- This tour involves some long and difficult hikes where we will be on our feet for most of the day. You should therefore be in good health and of sound fitness to undertake this tour. If you have any physical limitations or medical conditions of any sort, please let our office know in advance of the tour.
- The hotels are of a comfortable standard throughout.
- Transport is by small minibus. The roads are mostly in good condition; however, due to the nature of the topography, there is the possibility of landslides having a minor interference with our trip.
- Most days in the lowlands will be hot, humid and sunny. In montane areas it will range from very cool to warm, but without much humidity. The central mountain range of Kauai is one of the wettest locations in the world (up to 10 m of annual rainfall!), and we do anticipate intermittent light showers during the tour.
Arrival and Departure Details: This tour does not include any airfares. The tour will depart from Hilo International Airport (IATA:ITO) on day 1 of the tour, with a transfer to our hotel for a welcome lunch. In the afternoon, we will begin birding the surrounding areas. The tour will conclude at Honolulu International Airport (IATA: HNL), after a short flight from Kauai on the morning of day 14. Further meeting details in this regard will be forwarded to you in due course. If you wish to arrive early and/or depart late and would like assistance in this regard, kindly contact our office.
Flights: Hilo International Airport (IATA: ITO), Hawaii (Big Island) is the main port of entry into Hawaii for this tour. The tour concludes at Honolulu International Airport (IATA: HNL) after a short flight from Kauai. We have the capacity to advise you on the best route according to your preferences, but your local travel agent will best be able to book these flights for you. We will book the domestic flights on your behalf. NB: Please do not book any flights until you have consulted our office for confirmation on the status of the tour.
Please note: these prices are subject to foreign exchange fluctuations.
Also see tour packages in:
USA Hawaii Nature & Wildlife Birdwatching Wildlife Viewing