Central and Eastern Europe are quite simply superb for birds and birdwatchers. There are plenty of ‘eastern’ specialties that rarely, if ever, venture into the western regions of the continent; in fact, many species are far more abundant and easier to find in the east, no doubt due to its lack of development compared to the more affluent west. The likes of Pygmy Cormorant, Ferruginous Duck, Eastern Imperial Eagle, Saker Falcon, Little Crake, Syrian, Grey-headed and White-backed Woodpeckers (in fact, all 10 European woodpecker species are possible on this tour!), River Warbler and Lesser Grey Shrike are some of the species that come to mind. Other more widespread but no less spectacular birds include Golden Eagle, Great Bustard, Common Crane, Eurasian and Little Bitterns, Black Woodpecker and the beautiful Bluethroat.
We will stay in small guesthouses in good birding locations throughout this tour, and food will always consist of local cuisine. Several of the areas we visit are also wine-growing regions and we will no doubt sample a few!
- Tour Price (Per Person): €3,590 * £2,650 * USD 3,975 * ZAR 54,740
- Single Supplement: US$425.
Day 1: Vienna to Alpine Foothills
Days 2-3: Alpine Foothills
Day 4: Alpine Foothills to Trebon, the Czech Republic
Day 5: Trebon
Day 6: Trebon to Mikulov
Day 7: Mikulov
Day 8: Mikulov to Hansag, Hungary
Day 9: Hansag area
Day 10: Hansag to Kiskunsagi N.P.
Days 11-12: Kiskunsagi N.P.
Day 13: Kiskunsagi N.P. to Budapest.
- Top Birds: Ferruginous Duck, Pygmy Cormorant, Eurasian & Little Bittern, Eurasian Spoonbill, Eastern Imperial Eagle, Saker Falcon, Red-footed Falcon colonies, Long-legged Buzzard, Little Crake, Great Bustard, Kentish Plover, Caspian Gull, White-winged Tern, Alpine Swift, European Roller, Eurasian Eagle-Owl, European Green, Black, White-backed, Middle Spotted & Syrian Woodpecker, Tawny Pipit, Barred, Moustached & River Warbler, Collared Flycatcher, Eurasian Penduline Tit, Short-toed Treecreeper, Lesser Grey Shrike & Eurasian Golden Oriole
- Top Mammals: Roe Deer, Fallow Deer, Red Deer, Red Fox, Common Souslik, bats
- Habitats Covered: Wetlands (reed-beds, lakes, fishponds, marshes, riverine woods), coniferous and deciduous woodlands, mountain crags, grasslands
- Expected Climate: temperate, mainly mild
- Max Group Size: 12 with 1 leader and 1 local birding leader
- Tour Pace and Walking: moderate, there will be a number of walks in hilly country so a general level of fitness is required but mostly on flat, lowland terrain
- Accommodation: comfortable (but not luxurious) guest houses & hotels
- Ease of Birding: moderate
- Number of Species Expected: 200
- Other Attractions: ancient historical buildings & sites, great scenery, excellent food & wine
- Photographic Opportunities: good.
Single Supplement: The single supplement cost for this tour will be charged if you wish to have single accommodation. If we cannot provide you with a rooming partner for these nights although you choose to share, the single supplement will become applicable. We will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that a rooming partner is found if you do wish to share.
- Due to constantly fluctuating exchange rates, we quote our tours in 4 currencies. The tour price is however fixed only in the currency printed in bold (US$), and the actual cost in the other currencies listed will be adjusted according to prevailing exchange rates at the time of final invoicing (usually 4 months before the tour.) The same applies to approximate flight and single supplement rates, which are also quoted in the respective fixed currency.
- Rates are based upon group tariffs; if the tour does not have sufficient registration a small party supplement will have to be charged.
- Furthermore, these costs are subject to unforeseen increases in tour related costs and may have to be adjusted as a result.
- Lastly, we may be forced to change or alter the itinerary and / or the designated tour leader/s at short or no notice due to unforeseen circumstances; please be aware that we will attempt to adhere as close to the original program as possible.
Tipping: As noted above, gratuities (drivers, hotel staff, restaurants etc.) are included on this tour. However, this does NOT include our tour leader/s. If, therefore, you feel that he/they have given you excellent service, it is entirely appropriate to tip them.
Special Notes: Since some longish drives are necessary to reach the best areas for birds and animals, and as space in the vehicles is limited, it is important for the comfort of your fellow travellers that you do not over-pack. Kindly stick to 20 kg (44 lb) for check in luggage and 8 kg (+-18 lb) for hand luggage.
Arrival and Departure Details: This tour does not include any airfares. The tour will depart from Vienna International Airport in Austria on day 1, and will conclude at Budapest airport in Hungary on day 13. If you wish to arrive early and/or depart late and would like assistance in this regard, kindly contact our office.
Flights: Vienna International Airport (IATA: VIE) is the main port of entry for international flights into Austria and is well serviced by most of the world’s major airlines, while Budapest International Airport (IATA: BUD) in Budapest is the main port of departure for international flights out of Hungary. As our guests come from all over the planet we do not include international flights in our tour prices. We have the capacity to advise you on the best route according to your preferences but your local travel agent will best be able to book these flights for you. However, please do not book your international flights until you have consulted our office for confirmation on the status of the tour.
Please note: these prices are subject to foreign exchange fluctuations.
About This Supplier
Also see tour packages in:
Europe Austria Czech Republic Hungary Nature & Wildlife Birdwatching Wildlife Viewing
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend