- Tour Price (Per Person): PGK16,250
- Single Supplement: PGK2,450
- Flights (Approx cost): PGK1,500.
Day 1: Arrival in Port Moresby, birding at Pacific Adventist University
Day 2: Varirata National Park
Day 3: Flight from Port Moresby to Tari Valley
Days 4-5: Tari area
Day 6: Drive from Tari Valley to Mount Hagen
Day 7-8: Mount Hagen area
Day 9: Mount Hagen to Port Moresby, and the Brown River
Day 10: Port Moresby area and departures.
- Top Birds: Papuan Eagle, 15+ Bird-of-paradise species!, Zoe’s Imperial & Pheasant Pigeon, Wattled Ploughbill, Crested Satinbird, Torrent-lark, Painted Quail-thrush, three species of Owlet-nightjar, Brehm’s, Painted, Madarasz’s & Modest Tiger Parrot, Papuan Lorikeet, Lesser Melampitta, Emperor Fairywren, Crested Berrypecker & Mountain Firetail
- Habitats Covered: lowland and montane rainforest, secondary forest, Eucalyptus savanna, mangroves, grasslands, wetlands
- Expected Climate: hot and humid with tropical showers, cooler in the highlands
- Max Group Size: 8 and 1 tour leader
- Tour Pace and Walking: moderate pace with some longer hikes
- Accommodation: comfortable to luxurious hotels and lodges
- Ease of Birding: moderate, can be challenging at times
- Other Attractions: Huli Wigmen, Tari Valley, traditional carvings, spectacular forest vistas and mountain scenery
- Photographic Opportunities: very good
Single Supplement: The single supplement cost for this tour will be charged if you wish to have single accommodation. If we cannot provide you with a rooming partner for these nights although you choose to share, the single supplement will become applicable. We will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that a rooming partner is found if you do wish to share.
- Due to constantly fluctuating exchange rates, the tour price is fixed in PGK (Papua New Guinea Kina) only, and the actual cost in the other currencies listed will be adjusted according to prevailing exchange rates at the time of final invoicing (usually 4 months before the tour.) The same applies to approximate flight and single supplement rates, which are also quoted in the respective fixed currency.
- Rates are based upon group tariffs; if the tour does not have sufficient registration a small party supplement will have to be charged.
- Furthermore, these costs are subject to unforeseen increases in tour related costs and may have to be adjusted as a result.
- Lastly, we may be forced to change or alter the itinerary and / or the designated tour leader/s at short or no notice due to unforeseen circumstances; please be aware that we will attempt to adhere as close to the original program as possible.
- This Papua New Guinea tour is designed to be an easy, but fairly intense birding experience. We will attempt to obtain good views of as many bird species as possible. The tour is designed to avoid the most taxing and difficult terrain to be found in the lowland habitat of our comprehensive tours as well as maintaining as high a standard of comfortable accommodation available.
- In some areas around Port Moresby, it can get very hot and humid. We will thus make good use of the early mornings and will have a lot of early starts to avoid, as far as possible, birding in the heat of the day. We spend several nights in the highlands of Papua New Guinea at about 3,000 m (9,000 ft) above sea level, meaning that cooler evenings should be expected.
- This tour requires a moderate to good level of fitness and stamina, and participants should be in good general health. Much of the forest birding will be done on foot and may require walking for several hours at a time. Should you have any physical limitations, please notify us in advance of booking. Some trails around Tari and Varirata National Park can be muddy depending on weather conditions.
- We will be away from modern medical facilities for much of this tour – if you have any medical conditions please advise our Head Office in advance of the tour.
- While accommodation varies greatly in Papua New Guinea, we have designed this tour make use of the best available accommodation at each location. For the most part this is good to comfortable, but may still be below the standard of what you have come to expect from the developed world. At times we may experience maintenance problems that are beyond our control.
- Papua New Guinea is always a challenging place to visit, and it is not unusual for logistics to go awry, so please do expect some hassles along the way - we will do our utmost however to make this tour run as smoothly as possible. Delays, sometimes significant, should be expected when taking the internal flights that are necessary to access these locations. Weather or airline problems might cause delays that are out of our control.
- Birding in Papua New Guinea is fairly consuming. Many species are incredibly shy and difficult to observe along trails. The Lesser Bird-of-paradise lek may be inaccessible due to poor road conditions. Such inconveniences remain an ever-present possibility.
- Although International flights to Port Moresby may have baggage restrictions of up to 30 kg (66 lb), the domestic flights within Papua New Guinea are limited to 16 kg (35 lb) per person for checked luggage and 5 kg (11 lb) for hand luggage. (Airlines in PNG have however become more tolerant towards travellers carrying heavy / expensive camera and other optical equipment and often waive overweight hand luggage fees.) To ensure your comfort and that of your companions, please limit yourself to one medium-sized suitcase / duffel bag and one carry-on bag as space in the vehicles is limited.
- Malaria is prevalent in New Guinea, as such we advise you to consult your physician or local travel clinic for further advice on the matter.
- Rubber boots are particularly useful if trails are muddy, and we highly recommended their use.
Tipping: As noted above, gratuities (drivers, hotel staff, restaurants etc.) are included on this tour. However, this does not include our tour leader/s. If, therefore, you feel that he/they have given you excellent service, it is entirely appropriate to tip them.
Arrival and Departure Details: This tour does not include ANY airfares. The tour will start at approximately 13:00 on Day 1 of the tour, and you should have arrived in Port Moresby by midday at the latest. The tour will conclude on the morning of day 10 at Port Moresby International Airport. Further meeting details in this regard will be forwarded to you in due course. If you wish to arrive early and/or depart late and would like assistance in this regard, kindly contact our office.
Flights: Port Moresby International Airport (IATA: POM) is the main port of entry for international flights into Papua New Guinea and is serviced most reliably by Air Niugini from Brisbane, Singapore or Cairns. Your local travel agent will be able to book these flights for you. We will book all domestic flights of this tour on your behalf. Important: please do not book your international flights until you have consulted our Head Office for confirmation on the status of the tour.
Please note: these prices are subject to foreign exchange fluctuations.
About This Supplier
Also see tour packages in:
Australia and Oceania Papua New Guinea Nature & Wildlife Birdwatching Wildlife Viewing
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend