- Level rate: Moderate
- Dates of departure: May – October, on demand
- Nr. of team members: 2 – 12 + tour guides
- Trip duration (days): 8 (7 nights)
- Required gear: Backpack, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, spot light, good mountain boots, waterproof and warm changing clothes, water can, sweets, first-aid kit.
- Accommodation: tents, *** guest house.
Day 1: Transfer by bus to Apuseni Mountains (500 km / 310 mi). Schedule of the day: Transfer by coach to Apuseni Mts. (500 km/310 ml). Bucharest – Sibiu – Alba Iulia – Pietroasa
20:00 Pitching tents near by Pietroasa village. Highlights of the day: The city of Sibiu, medieval city in the middle of Transylvania. Alba Iulia, Romanian historical city, where the first union of the Romanian states has been proclaimed.
Day 2: Easy hiking in Carpathians.
8:00 AM Having Breakfast
9:00 AM Leaving the camp ground. Easy hike to La Grajduri 3-4 hours
14:00 2 PM Pitching tents
19:00 7 PM Dinner. Accommodation in "La Grajduri" meadow, a nice clearing in the middle of the mountains. Highlight of the day: La grajduri area.
Day 3: Hiking Apuseni Mountains – Bihor Mts
- Level Rating: Moderate hike
- Height difference: 250 m
- Sightseeing objectives: Focul Viu Glacier, Cetatile Ponorului
- Schedule of the day:
9:00 Easy hike to Focul Viu Glacier and Cetatile Ponorului, the largest limestone complex in SE Europe. Focul Viu (The Living Fire) is the finest cave glacier in Romania. The name came from the unique phenomena produced by a sun light ray that create a rainbow from the ice evaporation. The cave has 2 rooms, the first is a large one that hosts the glacier. The first room has a natural window on the top in the roof that allows the natural light to enter. By noon, on a sunny day the evaporating water can be seen rising from the glacier creating a unique phenomena, called “living fire”. The second room is smaller and has not natural light. In order to visit the second room you have to descend a few feet. The limestone complex Cetatile Ponorului (Ponor’s Castles) is situated in Bihor Mts., in the heart of Apuseni Mts. (Western Carpathians). Cetatile Ponorului (Ponor Fortresses) is the largest limestone complex in Carpathians, being formed of three big holes, in a great geological depression of 300 m/1000 ft. deep cover in fir trees, the upper part having a diameter of over 1000 m/3000 ft. The path starts from a forestry road descending along Valea Cetăţilor (Castle’s Valley) in the first hole. The western wall is over 150 m/490 ft. tall and hosts a great portal of over 70 m/230 ft. The path take us through all the 3 holes the are connected by some natural tunnels, caves and arches. The holes 2 and 3 can be seen from 4 balconies situated on the ridge.
Day 4: Hiking Western Romanian Mountains. Moderate hike.
- Hiking time: 6-8 hours
- Sightseeing objectives: The Galbena Gorges
- Schedule of the day:
8:00 AM Breakfast
9:00 AM Leaving for Galbena gorge. Galbena gorge are the finest gorge in Western Carpathians and are made by the river Galbena, river that has its spring into an interesting system of underground network.
19:00 7 PM Dinner.
Day 5: Hiking & Caving in Apuseni Mountains. Easy to moderate hike. Hiking time : 4-6 hours
9:00 Leaving for Lumea Pierduta (The Lost World) complex. Lumea Pierduta complex is hosting the largest system of caves, holes, tunnels and other interesting features carved in limestone.
Day 6: Hiking & caving in Romanian Mountains. A moderate hike. Hiking time – 8- 10 hours. Height difference: 200 m.
Highlights of the day:
- Casa de Piatra.
Schedule of the day:
8:00 AM Breakfast
9:00 AM Transfer to Scarisoara village. Leaving the camp ground for Padis, Casa de Piatra, Scarisoara.
20:00 camping at Scarisoara
Day 7: Caving & Hiking in Apuseni Mountains. Easy hike. Hiking time: 4-6 hours. Sightseeing objectives: Scarisoara Cave Glacier
9:00 AM Breakfast
10:00 AM Visit at Scarisoara cave glacier. Scarisoara cave hosts the largest glacier in Romania (an underground glacier), lasting from the last Ice Age that ended in Europe 10.000 years ago. Only the upper part of the glacier can be seen, the lower part being at the bottom levels of the cave. The entrance is situated at the bottom of a large hole 60 m/200 ft. in diameter and 50 m/150 ft. deep, a steel case leading the visitors down. The glacier has 2 different parts: first is the floor of the cave, the second part is called ” The Church” and is made of columns of ice.
12:00 PM Leaving Scarisoara village for Gârda village
16:00 4 PM arriving at Gârda. Accommodation at guest house in Gârda.
Day 8: Transfer to Bucharest
9:00 AM Breakfast
10:00 AM Leaving west Carpathians for Bucharest (450 km/280 ml)
18:00 6 PM arriving at Bucharest. Accommodation at 3 * hotel in Bucharest
- The fee for the "Caving in Carpathians" tour is per person sharing.
- A single supplement of will be charged if you wish to have single accommodation.
If we cannot provide you with a rooming partner although you choose to share, the single supplement will become applicable.
We will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that a rooming partner is found if you do wish to share.
- The minimum rates is based upon a group size of 12 participants; if the tour does not have sufficient registration (a minimum of 4 paying participants) a small supplement will have to be charged.
- Lastly, we may be forced to change or alter the itinerary and/or the designated leader/s at short notice due to unforeseen circumstances (especially weather conditions); please be aware that we will attempt to adhere as close to the original program as possible.
Tour Customization: This caving tour, as most of our outdoor tours, can be tailor made to fit your idea of a perfect holidays. Following alterations to the program can be arranged:
- add/subtract one or more days from the program
- choose your departure point. If you are already in Romania and you don't want to be picked up from Bucharest Intl Airport (or Bucharest), but from another city, please feel free to let us know. If we can arrange transportation for you, we'd be glad to do so.
- choose your departure day. As we work with small groups you and your friends can be the whole group. Please let us know your intended departure day and we'll organize the tour for your preferred dates (subject to our guides' availability and weather conditions)
- choose your preferred accommodation. We think sleeping in a tent is simply the coolest thing for some areas, however if that's not exactly your cup of tea, please let us know and we shall strive to find different accommodation options (guest-houses, hotels, etc). Please note that this customization might impact the rates.
- It is important for your own comfort that you do not over-pack. Kindly stick to 20 kg (44 lb) for your backpack.
- Fitness: this tour does not require a high level of fitness but participants should be in good general health. Should you have any physical limitations, please notify us in advance of departure.
Arrival and departure details: This tour does not include any airfares. Normally the tour will depart from Bucharest Intl. Airport on day 1 and end in Bucharest on the last day.
Flights: Bucharest Intl. Airport is the main port of entry for international flights into Romania and is well serviced by most of the world’s major airlines, as well as low-cost companies. As our guests come from all over the planet we do not include international flights in our tour prices. We can advise you on the best route according to your preferences. However, please do not book your international flights until you have consulted our office for confirmation on the status of the tour.
About This Supplier
Also see tour packages in:
Europe Romania Outdoor: Land Rambler Caving Hiking & Trekking
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend