You likely have heard of ice carving contests, or chocolate carving contests, but radishes? On December 23, Oaxaca holds the largest (only) radish carving contest in the world. The contest is large, and the radishes are too, weighing up to seven pounds! Primarily Nativity Scenes, the carvers now use their imagination and carve everything from famous Mexican revolutionaries, like Pancho Villa, to Guelaguetza dancers.
It is believed that this tradition is derived from the Christmas Eve market vendors, who used carved radish sculptures to attract customers to their stalls. This early form of advertising is now an art form and a serious contest that has been in existence since 1897. In addition to the Night of the Radishes, we will enjoy the Pageants, Posadas, Big Head parade and other colorful and exciting traditions that take place during the holidays.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
- 7 Nights accommodations
- Breakfast daily
- Meals, per itinerary
- Entrance fees in itinerary
- Tour guides and transportation
- Airport Transfers
- Airfares, International/Domestic
- Meals not listed in itinerary
- Beverages: Soft Drinks, Bottled Water, Liquor
- Cab fares, laundry, personal items
- Travel Insurance
- Medical Expenses
- Airport Taxes
- Costs associated with trip interruption or modification due to weather, conditions, political/civil disputes, medical emergencies or other causes beyond our control. Travel Insurance is recommended for this purpose.
About This Supplier
Joined InfoHub: Nov 2006
Client Request Served: 101
Over 30 years of experience living and traveling in Mexico. Founded in 2006, we take small groups of curious travelers on cultural journeys to Mexico. Our focus is on art history, textile traditions, archeology, natural wonders and festivals. Founder, Stephanie Schneiderman has degrees in Latin American Studies and...
View this supplier profile | Submit your review
Please take this quick survey and tell us, in your opinion, how original is this trip?
Also see tour packages in:
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend