- Route: Christchurch - Queenstown - Wanaka - Fox Glaxier - Hokitika - Christchurch
- Attention road bikers: You have the option to cycle up to 100 km+ (60 miles+) each day.
Experience the scenic ‘Jewels’ of the South Island on a tour starting and finishing in Christchurch and taking you via Queenstown and the rugged West Coast. You can choose from rides between 60 km (40 miles) and 100 km+ (60 miles+) each day. Just pick what suits you!
From Christchurch you drive to the foot of the Southern Alps, where the cycling starts gently with a ride through the open beauty of the Canterbury Plains. On quiet backroads, you continue through rolling farmland which gradually opens up into the expansive Mackenzie Basin. From Tekapo, travel past sparkling lakes and turquoise canals, while admiring breathtaking views of snow-capped mountains and the golden tussock grasslands of the Lindis Pass area. Pass though historic goldmining towns before arriving in Queenstown, the outdoor Adventure Capital of New Zealand.
From Queenstown you travel through the ‘High Country’ and alongside Lakes Hawea and Wanaka. You continue to the West Coast and can’t help noticing how the landscape dramatically changes from relatively barren hills to the dense rainforest of the Te Waipounamu World Heritage Area. There is the opportunity to visit the face of Fox or Franz Josef Glaciers, explore the special charm of West Coast gold rush towns, visit a jade (pounamu) factory, and take a walk on the wild West Coast beaches at sunset. Your tour concludes with a beautiful bike ride alongside Lake Brunner followed by an unforgettable road trip. You will traverse the scenic splendour of the Southern Alps back to Christchurch.
Note: Tour ends on the evening of day 8.
Day 1: Arrive in Christchurch: no cycling
Day 2: Christchurch to Lake Tekapo: 80 km-150+km cycling
Day 3: Lake Tekapo to Queenstown: 87 km-150+km cycling
Day 4: Free day in Queenstown: no cycling
Day 5: Queenstown to Wanaka: 81 km cycling
Day 6: Wanaka to Fox Glacier: 65 km-100+km cycling
Day 7: Fox Glacier to Hokitika: 30 km - 110 km cycling
Day 8: Hokitika to Christchurch & departure: 45+km cycling
- Airport transfers
* Day 1 only: Christchurch (between 7 am & 2 pm from the Airport)
* Transfers outside these days/times are your own arrangements
- Sightseeing tour: Christchurch
- Accommodation: 7 nights in 3-4 star (NZ standard) hotels & motels
- Meals: breakfasts (7) & lunches (6) & dinner (1) as per the itinerary
- Tourguide (who is also the driver)
- Support vehicle with bike trailer (& luggage space)
(luggage limited to 1 suitcase per person + 1 daypack)
- International flights & airport taxes
- Airport transfers outside the days/times specified above
- Travel Insurance
- Meals (unless specified in the itinerary)
- Drinks (except daily drinking water), phone calls & Minibar expenses
- Personal expenses (including any specific medical related requirements).
Single Accommodation Surcharge: NZD $770.00.
About This Supplier
Also see tour packages in:
Australia and Oceania New Zealand Outdoor: Land Rambler Bicycle Touring
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend