Day 1: Catia La Mar - Caracas Airport. Meet our travel assistant at the Maiquetía airport. Our assistant will welcome you to Venezuela, answer all your questions, and transfer you to your hotel. Overnight at a hotel.
Day 2: Catia La Mar - Caracas. Spend the day seeing Caracas. Visit the following historical sites:
- Cathedral Metropolitana de Caracas: Over 300 pounds of gold leaf were used to gild the main altar at this late 17th-century cathedral, which also houses the private Bolivar family chapel.
- Simon Bolivar’s Birthplace
- Panteon Nacional: The remains of celebrated Venezuelans, including Simon Bolivar, are housed inside this building, where walls and ceilings display the most famous Venezuelan independence battle scenes.
- Plaza Bolivar: Four statues of women, one at each corner of this plaza named for Simon Bolivar, represent the four original republics of Gran Colombia: Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru.
- El Capitolio Nacional: Two neoclassical style buildings, the Legislative Palace and the Federal Palace, house Venezuela's National Congress, now called the National Assembly.
- Plaza de Altamira: Impressive fountains grace the entrance to the Altamira subway station, which is located in this popular square of Caracas.
- Paseo de Los Proceres: Popular with roller bladers, bikers, joggers and people watchers, this complex of monuments to Venezuela's national heroes includes a lengthy avenue lined with lush trees, gardens and artwork integrated into the landscape. Overnight at a hotel. Includes: (B, L).
Day 3: Canaima National Park and Angel Falls - Catia La Mar - Caracas Airport - Puerto Ordaz/Ciudad Guayana. Early in the morning, take a flight from Caracas to Canaima National Park. Upon arrival you will be transferred to our main camp. Stay at a camp where you will see the most amazing waterfalls from the lodge. Check-in and in the afternoon, after lunch, take a boat ride to “Sapo Fall”.
Embark on a “curiara” (Indian boat) and while traveling through the Canaima Lagoon, see the Hacha, Golondrina, Guadaima, Ucaima Falls. As we reach the other end of the lagoon, walk 20 minutes to the entrance of Sapo Falls. Walk under the impressive curtain of water of Sapo Falls and enjoy the wonderful natural landscape as you reach the other side of it. After that, head back to the camp. If you are lucky, you might see a magical large bright blue butterfly. Overnight at a lodge. Includes: (B, L, D).
Day 4: Canaima National Park and Angel Falls. Get up at 4:30 AM for some breakfast (Coffee, Milk, Cookies) before heading out to see the majestic Angel Falls. Take a jeep ride to Puerto Ucaima where you will embark on a “curiara” indian boat. From there you will navigate on the curiara for 15 minutes until you reach the Rapids of Mayupa. At this point, you will get off and walk for 30 minutes to the other side where you will get in the boat again to continue canoeing up through the Carrao River.
At Orchid Island (Isla Orquidea), the group will stop for a snack. After some refreshment, the journey continues until you reach “Isla Raton.” Upon arrival you will stop a minute at our shelter as we prepare to trek to the “Mirador Laime” (the nearest accessible point to Angel Falls), where you will enjoy a view of the spectacular Angel Falls. After taking pictures and hearing the roar of the water, return to the shelter to have lunch. After lunch, we begin our journey back to our camp in Canaima. Dinner will be served at 8:00 pm. Overnight at a lodge. Includes: (B, L, D).
Day 5: Canaima National Park and Angel Falls - Orinoco Delta - Puerto Ordaz/Ciudad Guayana. After breakfast fly to Puerto Ordaz. From Puerto Ordaz you will be transferred to our camp in the Orinoco Delta region (by car and boat). The Orinoco Delta, located in northeastern Venezuela, is a vast, intricate labyrinth of waterways weaving through a simmering jungle to carry the waters of the Orinoco to the Atlantic Ocean.
This trip provides an excellent opportunity to learn about different ecosystems in this region, visit Indian villages, explore countless channels admiring the lush vegetation and varied fauna and enjoy a walk in the swamp forest. Once you arrive at the lodge, check into your "palafito" style cabin and rest a little. After lunch you will take your first excursion in the surroundings. You will be sleeping in comfortable (standard) cabins with private bathrooms. Includes: (B, L, D).
Day 6: Orinoco Delta. After breakfast take a boat ride through the branches of the river, bordered by dense tropical rainforest. See monkeys, a variety of birds like toucans and parrots and other animals such as the fresh water dolphins. On a small river branch get off the boat, step into swampy ground and walk into the delta forest! Get an insight of the typical vegetation (e.g. the Moriche palm-tree, the Indians "tree of life" and its multiple uses).
Taste the heart of the Manaca palm-tree, which only grows in the delta. Visit one of the Warao Tribe families which live in their huts built at the sides of the rivers. At night there is a chance to take an optional excursion with a small paddle canoe, to flash a light at the eyes of alligators resting at the river sides and watch some python snakes sleeping rolled up on the trees. Overnight at the lodge. Includes: (B, L, D).
Note: The night excursion is not included in the price quote.
Day 7: Orinoco Delta - Maturín - Margarita Island. After a hearty breakfast, our guide will take you by boat to an area in the Delta that is perfect for fishing. You will be given poles, bait your hooks with raw meat and fish for the infamous Piranhas. If you are successful, you can bring your catch back to the lodge where our chef will prepare them into a delicious snack. After lunch you will be transferred to the Maturín airport to take a flight to Margarita Island. Upon arrival, you will be transferred to a hotel. Overnight at an all inclusive resort. Includes: (B, L, D).
Day 8: Margarita Island. Over the next three days, take some time to relax at the hotel and/or explore the island. Shop in Porlamar - specifically in Avenida Santiago Mariño and Avenida 4 de Mayo - and/or enjoy beaches such as el Yaque (one of the best places in the world for windsurfing), or the Parguito (a great place for surfing). Overnight at an all inclusive resort. Includes: (B, L, D).
Note: Excursions are not included in the tour/package. These are just ideas of what you can do if you feel like exploring the island.
Day 9: Margarita Island. Today indulge your interests on the Island by:
- Visiting Juangriego and La Galera- the two famous bays with extraordinary views and sunsets.
- Treasuring untouched natural landscapes, deserted beaches, diverse bird species and ancestral traditions in the National Park Cerro Copey.
- Going to Boca del Pozo and Robledal, both typical fishing villages with their unique shore carpentry. Overnight at an all inclusive resort. Includes: (B, L, D).
Day 10: Margarita Island. Things you might consider doing in Margarita today are:
- Snorkeling or diving at the Los Frailes islands, whose surrounding coral reefs and abundant marine life are an attraction for many divers.
- Exploring neighboring Coche Island dedicated to fishing, shrimp farming and tourism. Overnight at an all inclusive resort. Includes: (B, L, D).
Day 11: Margarita Island - Caracas Airport. In the morning, fly from Margarita Island to Caracas to catch your international flight back home. A Turpial Travel assistant will be waiting for you at the Maiquetía airport to help you with your transition to the international airport. Includes: (B).
Also see tour packages in:
South America Venezuela Nature & Wildlife National Parks Multi-activity