An easier-paced version of our standard Queenstown bicycle tour, giving you the time to take in the scenery along the way. This adventure travel tour starts from Christchurch with a gradual warm up with mainly flat riding on the first 3 days as you head through to the quiet country towns of Darfield, Methven and Geraldine. From Geraldine you tackle some of the moderate hills that follow for the remainder of the trip as you cycle through to the spectacular lake-side town of Tekapo, where many of the scenes for the ‘Lord of the Rings’ were shot. From Tekapo travel beside the canals and glacier fed lakes and through the dramatic McKenzie Basin to Queenstown, the Adventure travel capital of New Zealand. Here your adventure travel vacation can really start and we are able to help arrange a variety of activities from bung jumping to jet-boating.
Day 1: Collect bicycle & equipment in Christchurch, and cycle to Darfield.
Day 2: Darfield to Methven.
Day 3: Methven to Geraldine.
Day 4: Geraldine to Fairlie.
Day 5: Fairlie to Lake Tekapo.
Day 6: Rest Day at Lake Tekapo.
Day 7: Lake Tekapo to Omarama
Day 8: Omarama to Wanaka (includes drop-off at the top of the Lindis Pass).
Day 9: Wanaka to Cromwell.
Day 10: Cromwell to Queenstown.
Day 11: Rest day in Queenstown to take in the sights or to Christchurch via bus, or continue the adventure travel and join our Central Otago Goldfields bicycle tour.
- Equipment Included: Trek mountain bike for touring (with road tyres), Ortlieb rear pannier bags, front handlebar bag and comprehensive repair kit. Detailed itinerary, maps and notes on points of interest that you will pass.
- Accommodation: Ten nights accommodation in twin rooms with bathroom ensuite, in carefully selected B&B's, home stays and small friendly motels (breakfast included).
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
- Low Season (September, October, November, March & April) $1995 per person twin share
- High Season (December, January & February) $2050 per person twin share
- Single supplement (on request basis only) $495.
||Location: New Zealand
Joined InfoHub: Feb 2007
Client Request Served: 41
M15875 has been set up by cycle tourers, for cycle tourers. We have extensive knowledge of bike touring in New Zealand, gained through tens-of-thousands of kilometers cycling all the routes we recommend. We have used the knowledge we have gained to put together these self-guided tour routes because we think they offer...
View this supplier profile | Submit your review
Please take this quick survey and tell us, in your opinion, how original is this trip?
Also see tour packages in:
Australia and Oceania
Outdoor: Land Rambler
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend