- Start/finish: starts daily in Oxford and finishes in Henley
- Bed and Breakfast: a small hotel in the heart of Oxford and a characterful inn in Dorchester. Choice of either a small hotel by the river in Pangbourne or an acclaimed inn set in the Chiltern Hills on the Classic tour. Characterful and historic 3, 4 and 5 star hotels and an old inn chosen for their high quality and excellent locations on the Luxury version of this tour.
- Cycling mileage: 3 days of cycling 14 - 19 miles (22 - 30 km) per day
- Skill level: novice
- Terrain: a choice of two routes. Either dead flat along the river with one short slope on the last day, or dead flat for 1.5 days and a gentle up and down in the Chiltern Hills
- Traffic free: more than half, very low traffic on the rest.
Day 1: Arrive Oxford. Arrive in Oxford and check into your hotel located close to the heart of the city. Enjoy the treasures of this beautiful city today. Stroll through the lovely colleges of the University with their magnificent architecture and gardens. Take in the museums, galleries and libraries galore, and perhaps a concert or play. Discover the little tea rooms and fine restaurants, the unique shops and back streets and the river backwaters dotted with punters and rowing eights. At a time to suit you make your way to our base in the center of Oxford, which is open from 9.30 to 17.30 every day, to pick up your cycling equipment. Your host will meet you there, organize your bicycle and run through your itinerary.
Day 2: Oxford/Dorchester. 19 miles (30 km). You are off today on your bike to explore the Thames and its sleepy hamlets and backwaters on bridleways and quiet country lanes. Discover historic Abingdon, rustic pubs, tiny museums, magical views, and the wildlife of this ancient waterway. Your overnight stay is in the lovely old town of Dorchester on Thames.
Day 3: Dorchester/Chiltern village or to Pangbourne. 16 miles (26 km) or 14 miles (22 km). There are several more so attractive riverside towns and villages to explore before you make a route choice. If you are heading into the Chiltern Hills there is a gentle pedal up into this different landscape. It is gentle and there are great views, quirky places to discover and cosy pubs to relax in. You stay the night in a highly recommended inn nestled in a wooded hamlet. If you choose to stay by the river you will not be disappointed with the watery landscapes and wildlife. Beyond, there is a narrow track and some steps but for those who don't fancy these there is a short and easy train. Your overnight stop is in the attractive town of Pangbourne overlooking the Thames.
Day 4: Henley. 14 miles (22 km). From the Chilterns, its downhill most of the day as you make your way through the beech woods and rural patchwork of this unspoilt area. From Pangbourne, the ride is idyllic and roughly follows the river. Both routes arrive in Henley by pedaling beside the Thames and along its weirs. You should have plenty of time to explore this elegant and fascinating town before we meet you in Henley in the afternoon. Henley is 1 hour by train to London or Oxford. If time is no object, spend the night in Henley in our delightful private house right in the heart of town.
Minimum cost is for Classic version. Maximum cost is for Luxury version.
About This Supplier
Also see tour packages in:
Europe England Outdoor: Land Rambler Bicycle Touring Cultural Journey
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend