A less demanding version of our popular 9-day West Coast bicycling tour, that starts from our base in Christchurch and begins with a classic train ride across the Southern Alps to Moana on the banks of Lake Brunner [pictured with train] and then a gentle cycle to Greymouth on the West Coast. From Greymouth you cycle north along the rugged West Coast, taking in the spectacular rainforest, Punakaiki rocks and limestone cliffs along the route. Then it’s a gentle ride along the spectacular Buller River and through to the historic goldfields of Reefton, before heading back to Christchurch on the world-renowned Tranz Alpine scenic train.
Day 1: We will meet you at your accommodation in Christchurch with bicycles and equipment and you then take the Tranz Alpine train to Moana and then cycle to Greymouth.
Day 2: Greymouth to Punakaiki.
Day 3: Punakaiki to Westport.
Day 4: Rest day in Westport.
Day 5: Westport to Reefton.
Day 6: Reefton to Greymouth.
Day 7: Greymouth to Christchurch via Tranz Alpine.
- Equipment Included: mountain bike for touring (with road tyres) or specailist drop bar touring bike [both 27speed], Ortlieb rear pannier bags, front handlebar bag and comprehensive repair kit. Detailed itinerary, maps and notes on points of interest that you will pass.
- Accommodation: Six nights accommodation in twin rooms with bathroom ensuite (where available), in carefully selected B&B's, home stays and small friendly motels (breakfast included).
- Difficulty: Moderate route with several 200m (650 feet) hill climbs, distances averaging 45 to 80 km per cycling day.
10% discount for InfoHub customer. Request a free gift certificate.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
- Low Season (September, October, November, March, April, May) $1550 p.p. twin share
- High Season (December, January & February) $1600 p.p. twin share
- Single supplement (on request basis only) $495.
About This Supplier
||Location: New Zealand
Joined InfoHub: Feb 2007
Client Request Served: 41
M15875 has been set up by cycle tourers, for cycle tourers. We have extensive knowledge of bike touring in New Zealand, gained through tens-of-thousands of kilometers cycling all the routes we recommend. We have used the knowledge we have gained to put together these self-guided tour routes because we think they offer...
View this supplier profile | Submit your review
Please take this quick survey and tell us, in your opinion, how original is this trip?
Also see tour packages in:
Australia and Oceania
Outdoor: Land Rambler
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend