This trip starts from Christchurch with a gradual warm-up with mainly flat riding on the first two days as you ride through to the quiet country towns of Methven and Geraldine. From Geraldine you tackle some of the moderate hills that follow for the remainder of the trip as you cycle through to the spectacular lake-side town of Tekapo, where many of the scenes for the ‘Lord of the Rings’ were shot. From Tekapo it’s along the canals and glacier-fed Southern Lakes and through the dramatic McKenzie Basin to Queenstown, the Adventure Capital of New Zealand.
- Equipment Included: Trek mountain bike for touring (with road tyres), Ortlieb rear pannier bags, front handlebar bag and comprehensive repair kit. Detailed itinerary, maps and notes on points of interest that you will pass.
- Accommodation: Seven nights accommodation in twin rooms with bathroom ensuite, in carefully selected B&B's, home stays and small friendly motels (breakfast included).
- Difficulty: Moderate to demanding route with longer days averaging 60 to 100 km per cycling day.
Day 1: Collect bicycle and equipment in Christchurch, and cycle to Methven.
Day 2: Methven to Geraldine.
Day 3: Geraldine to Lake Tekapo.
Day 4: Rest day at Lake Tekapo.
Day 5: Lake Tekapo to Omarama.
Day 6: Omarama to Cromwell.
Day 7: Cromwell to Queenstown.
Day 8: Rest day in Queenstown to take in the sights or to Christchurch via bus, or continue on to join our tour through the Central Otago Goldfields.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
- Low Season (September, October, November, March & April) $1500 per person twin share
- High Season (December, January & February) $1550 per person twin share
- Single Supplement (on request basis only) $395.
About This Supplier
||Location: New Zealand
Joined InfoHub: Feb 2007
Client Request Served: 42
M15875 has been set up by cycle tourers, for cycle tourers. We have extensive knowledge of bike touring in New Zealand, gained through tens-of-thousands of kilometers cycling all the routes we recommend. We have used the knowledge we have gained to put together these self-guided tour routes because we think they offer...
View this supplier profile | Submit your review
Please take this quick survey and tell us, in your opinion, how original is this trip?
Also see tour packages in:
Australia and Oceania
Outdoor: Land Rambler
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend