Highlights - Truly a "Highlights" Tour:
- Zaanse Schans: open air museum including several windmills
- Hoorn: port town dating from the 17th century
- Schermerhorn: visit museum windmill
- Landscapes of Rembrandt (cycle tour along the river Amstel)
- Excursion or visit Museum.
- Route: Amsterdam - Uithoorn - Leiden - Katwijk - Haarlem - North Sea -Spaarndam - Alkmaar - Schermerhorn – Amsterdam.
- Dates: NOTE: Full payment discount of $50.00 per person may apply when paying in full payment at time of booking; based on current exchange rate - please inquire.
* Saturdays, May 19, June 16, July 21, sorry no August dates, and September 1 and 8 on standard or standard plus barge. (Price discounted from 2011 to $1,085 with full payment at time of booking.Price per person w/double occupancy).
* June 30, July 4, August 4, and 18 on comfort barge. ($1,283.00 per person w/double occupancy). Full payment when booking discount $50.00, subject to exchange rate.
This tour offers an attractive combination of towns and countryside in Holland. It starts with a sailing trip right across the centre of Amsterdam. Soon after having left the city behind, it appears that amidst the larger Dutch towns lies a splendid rural area: the Green Heart. One moment you'll be cycling in the middle of quiet lakes, the next you'll experience the old Dutch atmosphere in the historical centre of towns like Haarlem and Leiden. Moderate biking nearly every day.
Day 1, Saturday: Cycle trip ± 20 km. After your embarkment in Amsterdam, you'll be sailing right through the centre of Amsterdam. There's a short cycle trip following the banks of the river Amstel ending in Uithoorn/Kudelstaart.
Day 2, Sunday: Cycle trip ± 55 km. Today you'll cross the real Green Heart of Holland: on cycle paths through the lake areas of Langeraarse Plassen and Braassemer Meer. Your trip ends in university town Leiden. A city walk in the historical centre of this birth place of Rembrandt with its numerous courtyards is certainly recommendable.
Day 3, Monday: Cycle trip ± 50 km. Today's itinerary leads to the seaside resort Katwijk and then through the dune area to Zandvoort. If weather permits, you may spend some time on the beach. Cycling on the path that was used by the fishermen's wifes to go to the market, you'll end up in Haarlem. The small and surveyable centre invites one to do some shopping in this "best shopping town of the Netherlands". Don't forget to sit down and have a drink on one of the terrasses at the big market place.
Day 4, Tuesday: Cycle trip ± 50 km. The first village you arrive in is Spaarndam (the village of Hans Brinker). After the crossing of the North Sea canal by ferry, you continue cycling through rural villages like Nauerna. You visit open air museum the Zaanse Schans and continue following the river Zaan and the Knollendammer canal to cheese town Alkmaar.
Day 5, Wednesday: Cycle trip ± 55 km. Today the boatel stays in Alkmaar. There s a cycle trip to the unique wood and dune area near the villages Bergen and Schoorl and to the Hondsbossche Zeewering, a sea wall. You ll have plenty of time to have a drink at an outdoor café or to walk on the beach. If you feel like it, you are of course, free to spend a day on your own sightseeing in Alkmaar or relaxing at the seaside.
Day 6, Thursday: Cycle trip ± 45 km. After passing Oterleek and Avenhorn, you arrive in Hoorn. After you have got acquainted with this historical port town, you take the road along the coast from where you have a splendid view over the IJssel Lake. Thereafter you take a ride following the canal 'Beemsterringvaart' to Purmerend. On the way we visit the museum windmill in Schermerhorn.
Day 7, Friday: Cycle trip ± 50 km. First you cycle to and look round the picturesque village of Edam. Then you visit the fishing village of Volendam. Take your time for a break and enjoy the atmosphere and the people in traditional costume. The cycle trip continues along the coastline of the IJssel Lake through Uitdam and Durgerdam. Via the ferry crossing the IJ, you arrive at the start of your tour in the centre of Amsterdam. You visit the Rembrandt House, where the painter lived for years with his wife Saskia. In the evening you may wish to join the guide for a walk though the centre or you may go for a round trip of the Amsterdam canals.
Day 8, Saturday: After breakfast your guide and the crew will say good-bye and your stay aboard has come to an end.
Note: Tour itinerary is subject to changes at discretion of captain.
- Stay on board 8 days/7 nights
- All meals (breakfast, lunch/packed lunch, 3 courses diner)
- Tour leader
- Bicycle with gears and pannier
- Bike compensation
- Several city walks
- Information booklet + map
- Entrance fee Museum or excursion
- Entrance fee Museum Windmill Schermerhorn.
- Transfers between airport and barge
- Drinks aboard other than coffee, tea, milk
- Adult beverages available on board for a fee
- Gratuities to crew
- Excursions out of program.
Also see tour packages in:
Europe Netherlands Outdoor: Land Rambler Bicycle Touring Cultural Journey
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend
US: , ext: 19758
Outside US, please use a number below and enter the extension "19758" when prompted:
UK: 01865 52 2588
Australia: 08 8121 5884
Note: If unavailable, leave a voicemail for the supplier to call you back.