At our Language Center we prefer not to use a rigid grammatical teaching method. Instead, a more conversational and interactive approach is employed. Even though all essential areas of grammar are covered, students learn not by endless grammar tables and repetition, but by using them in context that clarifies their meaning and use. This method we feel enhances language development accelerates oral proficiency and is altogether more enjoyable for both student and teacher.
On application, you have the choice of group or private tutoring. Group classes are limited to a maximum of 6 people in order not to inhibit or devalue the learning experience of our students. As a group member, you can choose to learn at a regular or intensive pace. The regular course is 2 hours per day, Monday to Friday. Intensive courses run for 4 hours daily, Monday to Friday.
Alternatively, you can opt for private tutoring - one-on-one with one of our qualified, native language teachers at your pace. We offer even greater flexibility with our private course multi-hour packages. Choose a private course 10 or 20 hour package and you can take these classes when you want after prior consultation with our Program Director.
Of course, these options are often a matter of personal preference based on your own learning methods. All options on course type and your estimated length of stay can be selected on our application form. We do however try to accommodate any change of plan that may occur after submission, whether that is before or after your arrival at our Language Center.
Our classes are divided into 3 levels of aptitude - beginner, intermediate and advanced. Don't worry if you have no Spanish experience at all - over half of all our students begin at the first, beginner level. Your level will be assessed on arrival and a suitable class placement made.
The beginner level can be covered in approximately 80 hours of classes ( one month of intensive program ) and all levels incorporate the main language aptitudes of reading, writing, speaking and listening. Below is a brief objective of each Spanish level.
* Beginner - Students will acquire a basic level of oral proficiency in order to communicate in every day situations and understand basic text. The course will cover all aspects of elementary grammar.
* Intermediate - Students will acquire a higher level of oral and written proficiency. More advanced areas of grammar will be covered. The subjunctive mood will be introduced. Students will be introduced to certain aspects of Latin American culture.
* Advanced - The Advanced Spanish level is basically a continuation from the Intermediate level. Once the grammar basics are at your disposal, the aim of advanced level is to achieve a command of these skills, greater fluency and the ability to understand and apply complex texts. Students will also acquire a greater understanding and appreciation of Latin American culture and linguistic nuances.
Students are requested to arrive at 8.30am on their first day in order to have their Spanish level assessed and also to be familiarized with the school and to answer any questions or concerns that you may have in a short introductory talk. After this, classes begin at 9am Monday-Friday. For those on the intensive program, there is a break of 30 mins at 11am to rest your brain, grab a bite and chat to other students and therefore complete their 4 hours of study in two blocks of 2 hours each. Private tutoring schedules are organized in advance with the Program Director but as a rule, also commence at 9am.
Our students appreciate the flexibility of our programs. You can choose to learn in a group (no more than 6 students) - for a more interactive, group orientated learning experience and also of course a great way to meet new friends from all over the world.
In our Group Program, you have the option to study 2 hours or 4 hours per day, Monday to Friday. Or, you can choose Private Tutoring, one-on-one with one of our teachers. We offer our private students an even greater flexibility in their program. You can choose to study on an hourly basis or take advantage of one of our Multi-Hour Packages. These hours can be used when you want after consultation in advance with our Program Director.
Also we encourage our students to participate in the many cultural activities available in Tlaquepaque and Guadalajara as a whole. These include Salsa dancing and Spanish guitar lessons. Our school is near to a gymnasium of which we can aid you in providing a temporary membership. On completion of your course at with at least a 90% attendance record, you will receive a certificate from Guadalajara Language Center. This will outline the number of hours studied and standard attained.
Guadalajara, Mexico's second largest city retains a Spanish colonial feel with its many plazas and stunning architecture without the apparent dangers and city rush of the capital It offers tourists and travelers alike a wide range of traditional and contemporary activities to ensure an unforgettable experience. The apartments have wireless internet and the school also has wireless internet that is free of charge.
* Accommodation: You will stay with a local Mexican family to experience full cultural immersion during your studies with our Language Center Home stay program. They will provide 3 traditional meals a day, private room, helpful information and of course a great opportunity to practice the Spanish you have learned at the school. All Home stay families are within walking distance of the school. Placement confirmation and contact details will be forwarded to you prior to your arrival. 1-night stay + 3 meals $17 USD (price per person).
- Stay in a furnished apartment within a short walk of school and the center of Tlaquepaque. The apartments and the nearby wine bar/restaurant are run by Analise & Douglas Galloway (seen here left with new arrival baby Anya) situated in a small, quiet plaza in the center of San Pedro Tlaquepaque. All apartments have a private bathroom and are fully furnished with cable TV. 7-night stay $125 USD (price for 2-person apartment not including meals - not per person).
- Stay in a Student House: Stay in this converted house just a block from the school. This excellent value option is $10 USD per night per room. There are 3 rooms available. This large house has a kitchen, bathroom, patio and garden. Or, you can rent the whole house for just $36 USD per night subject to availability. 1-night stay $10 USD (price per room); 1-night stay $36 USD (price for whole house)
- Experience the unique ambiance of an authentic Casa Mexicana: Casa Contenta is a charming & traditional colonial adobe home built in the 19th century. It’s located in the heart of Tlaquepaque just one block away from the arts & crafts galleries, traditional market, pedestrian areas, famous restaurants, our Language Center, handcrafts workshops and its unique & traditional Mexican town atmosphere.
Enjoy the experience of living in a typical Mexican home, spacious bedrooms with 12 feet high ceilings which keeps the weather lukewarm, central patio with chimney & plants, chill out at the balcony terrace, learn to cook a Mexican breakfast, take some Spanish lessons and go for a walk in the pedestrian areas where daily all the local families and people gather for chatting, playing and relax.
* Description: This home is designed to receive families or group of friends who wish to have a more private and personal space and feel the warmth of a home stay. It allows comfortably up to 4 people but more people can stay upon request. The owners live just 2 blocks away so they take personal care of the needs of our guests.
- It has (3) bedrooms, two of them has (1) double bed each and the main room has (1) queen size bed.
- There is (1) fully equipped bathroom.
- Kitchen equipped with fridge, stove, dishes, pans etc. All you may need for cooking.
- Dinning room for 6 people with equipales furniture which is very typical of Jalisco.
- Living room area with equipales furniture, TV & DVD player.
- Cable TV and DSL high speed internet.
- Beautiful upper balcony to chill out & relax whenever is required.
- Main central patio with plants and equipales.
- Basic cleaning service & sheets change provided once a week. Extra cleaning services could be provided at extra cost.
- 1-week stay - $500 USD
- 2-weeks stay - $900 USD
- 3-weeks stay - $1200 USD
- 4-weeks stay - $1500 USD
- 8-weeks stay - $2800 USD
- Extra nights - $90 USD.
- Stay in a Luxury Hotel: Casa Campos is a rustic hotel located in the heart of Tlaquepaque. A place where you can enjoy peace of mind, tranquility and comfort that you deserve. We will strive to make your stay here a pleasant one. Casa Campos is located just half a block from Independencia - the main shopping street in Tlaquepaque and just two blocks from the famous 'Parián'. We have six rooms to offer, two of which have double queen size beds, shower, bath and TV.
* Single room - 1 Queen size or 1 Double bed - $850 NMP (New Mexican Pesos)
* Double room - 2 Double beds - $1000 NMP
* Suite - 2 Queen size beds or 1 King size bed - $1250 NMP.
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend