I then started a photographic business and worked in it for about 12 years, doing weddings, portraits and lot of printing for many Sydney based firms. But my passion was always fine art photography which I frequently exhibited. My shows to date were in Sydney, Blue Mountains and in Mitchelton in Victoria and my photographs hung in many countries. Now I mainly teach photography to local young people and oversee students.
My studio is in the Blue Mountains, which is an area within a National Park, about 80 km from Sydney. We offer several courses in photography from beginners to advanced, traditional and digital and darkroom techniques, again from a simple print to advanced print manipulation.
My photography has been exhibiting fine art photography for many years in Sydney and Blue Mountains. My images hung in many private homes in Australia, USA, Canada, Czech Republic, and Germany.
I studied at Penrith TAFE to obtain a Photography Certificate and then at Sydney Institute of Technology to obtain an Associated Diploma of Art - Photography which established me as a commercial practicing photographer. My laboratory in the Blue Mountains produces Black and White prints for many Sydney based photographers for commercial and exhibiting purposes.
I mainly teach 1 to 1 in darkroom situations or in small groups in photography for beginners. Courses are held in the Blue Mountains National Park at Glenbrook or in my studio darkroom at Winmalee.
We also provide an accommodation in a B&B set up and if required full board is available. Evenings are taken up by classes or a movie in local cinemas at Glenbrook or Richmond. Students find local area ideal for evenings walks in the National park or if weather is suitable for a dip in our pool. Our dog Millie is a constant companion to one and all in the pool, running around and barking.
I also belong to a Blue Mountains Artist Network and I have been exhibiting fine art photography for many years in Sydney and Blue Mountains. My images hung in many private homes in Australia, USA, Canada, Czech Republic, and Germany.
I was fortunate to attend a printing course given John Sexton in California, USA. (John was an assistant to the late Ansel Adams). This and my love of B&W photography and printing has inspired me to share gained knowledge with upcoming photographers as I feel photography is not only a viable commercial enterprise but also a very visually exiting art form.
Workshops offered are:
- Camera handling and exposure, film and digital (1 day workshop) - Workshop in Blue Mountains National Park at Glenbrook, aprox. 6-7 hours;
- Development of B&W negative, proofing and test printing (1 day workshop);
- Darkroom introduction, (proofing of negatives) learning to print from any negative, print manipulation (dry and wet) techniques of various development methods, understanding of chemistry and producing a test print (1or 2 day’s workshop);
- Advanced printing techniques for pulling a fine art print such as: flashing and fine contrast tuning, bleaching, and toning, D max enhancement, etc. (1 or 2 day’s workshop);
- Archival techniques for print conservation, introduction to print matting and final print display (1 day workshop, participants must be able to print or have attended my 2 day darkroom introduction workshop);
- Darkroom introduction and printing techniques are recommended as a 2-day workshop for students without prior darkroom experience. (1 to 2 students per workshop);
- One to one workshops are available in: Advanced contrast-printing controls, lith printing, bleaching and redevelopment, bleaching and toning, toning /duo toning, photo and chemical solarization, mordancage and Polaroid transfers.
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend