Our school's sole objective is teaching Spanish as a foreign language. Our method is based on direct contact between teacher and student, and on establishing a relaxed atmosphere so that learning comes naturally and is reinforced through practice and communication. There is a maximum of 7 students per class.
* CITY: Madrid - the business, government, cultural and entertainment center of Spain - is a modern, cosmopolitan and hospitable city that welcomes all its visitors, regardless of nationality and occupation.
Madrid boasts the most prestigious museums in the country (among them El Museo del Prado, El Centro de Arte Reina Sofía and El Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza) and the greatest number of theatres and clubs, including El Teatro Real, El Teatro Español and El Teatro de la Zarzuela, Joy Eslava and Pacha. Many of Spain's most important historic monuments are also found in Madrid, such as El Palacio Real, El Parlamento, and El Congreso, not to mention La Biblioteca Nacional, which contains more than 25,000 volumes.
All the central government operations are located in this capital city, as well as the leading political institutions and the country's main economic and financial centers. The major world banks and national and global companies also have headquarters in Madrid.
Visitors will enjoy life in Madrid, which is lively not only during the day. Madrid is known for its exciting and charming nightlife, often referred to as "La Movida Madrileña", or the Madrid Scene. In addition to more traditional entertainment, there are many clubs and discotheques for all tastes from salsa to jazz, as well as pubs, cafes, casinos, and flamenco dancing.
Madrid's cuisine is one of the city's main pleasures and a must for visitors. There is a wide variety to suit every taste and budget, and restaurants range from those serving international fare to "tascas", or snack bars, which offer the opportunity to try all sorts of "raciones", or portions, of typical Spanish food.
The opportunity to participate in sports is unlimited in Madrid - from jogging in El Parque del Retiro to mountain biking in the Casa de Campo. There are many sports facilities including swimming pools, soccer fields, tennis courts, golf courses and athletic stadiums. And the nearby mountains offer horseback riding, as well as skiing in the winter.
The school is opened year-round, if a student attends for only two weeks, holidays are compensated for by extra class hours. All students with prior knowledge of Spanish must take an oral and written test in order to be placed at the appropriate level. Another test is offered at the completion of each course to qualify the student for a certificate based on his or her level of achievement.
We offer Intensive Spanish Courses with a maximum of 7 students per class, general courses, preparation for the DELE exam and one to one courses. Close to the school, not more than 2 minutes walk, we offer accommodation in shared flats, studios and apartments. Accommodation is also offered on a room only basis with host families located no more than 30 minutes by metro or bus from the school.
We also offer a cultural program during non–class time with activities including trips to famous museums and historical buildings (Prado Museum, Royal Palace, Modern Art Museum, etc) and excursions to Toledo, Segovia, El Escorial. The objective of this program is to provide students with extensive knowledge of Spain, its culture, art and history.
From Monday to Friday we offer our students the opportunity to experience Spanish food in a local restaurant where they can practice Spanish with a Spanish teacher and get to know the other students in the school. A combination of our friendly and familiar atmosphere, the relation between the students and the Academy’s staff and our location in the center of the city provide you with the best conditions to learn Spanish in Madrid.
Our faculty is composed of teachers certified in such subjects as Classical Spanish, Spanish Language, and Art and Literature. All our teachers have been carefully chosen the school's academic board and trained to use our exclusive method in order to ensure the greatest success.
Students can participate in a program of activities and excursions during non-class time. The objective of this program is to provide students with more extensive knowledge of Spain, its culture, art and history.
Tour of Old Madrid: The Austrian part of Madrid. We'll learn about the history of Puerta del Sol, La Plaza Mayor, La Plaza del Ayuntamiento, El Palacio Real, and other sites.
- El Museo Municipal de Madrid: The history of Madrid and its historical figures through paintings, drawings, sculptures and other objects.
- El Palacio Real: Built in the 18th century by King Philip V, the first Bourbon king of Spain.
- El Convento de las Descalzas Reales: A convent located right in the heart of Madrid. It has been a place of solace, prayer and art since the 16th century, when it was founded by Princess Juana of Austria.
- El Convento de la Encarnación: Founded by Queen Margarita of Austria-Stiria, the wife of King Philip III, in 1611. It is noteworthy for its vial containing the dried blood of St. Pantaleón.
- El Museo y la Fábrica de Tapices: Established in 1721 by King Philip V. Its weavers use the same techniques today that were used in the 18th century.
- El Museo Lázaro Galdiano: A private art collection donated by its founder. It displays jewels, paintings, sculptures, furniture and many other objects.
- El Museo de Artes Decorativas: A collection of objects formerly used in everyday life that are now considered objets d'art.
- A Spanish play or musical performance.
- El Museo del Prado: Spain's most important art collection and one of the best in the world. We'll see paintings by Goya, El Greco, Ribera, Zurbarán, Murillo and Velázquez.
- El Centro de Arte Reina Sofía: Modern Spanish art featuring Juan Gris, Miró, Dalí and, of course, Picasso (especially El Guernica, his most controversial and renowned work).
- El Panteón de Goya: The San Antonio de la Florida hermitage, which houses the remains of the genius painter from Aragón. The chapel was decorated by Goya and depicts the miracle performed by San Antonio.
- El Ayuntamiento: The city hall and the mayor's office.
- El Congreso de los Diputados: The history of the Spanish constitution and the Parliament, created by Queen Isabella II in 1850.
- El Rastro: The most interesting outdoor market in Madrid, located in the old part of the city.
- El Planetario: A trip to the stars.
- El País: The production facilities of the newspaper with the largest circulation in Spain.
- El Museo Arqueológico: Artifacts from the different eras that make up Spanish history and culture.
- El Museo Romántico: Furniture, paintings and other objects from this dark period in Spain's history.
- El Museo Cerralbo: A palace-museum located in the centre of Madrid. It houses the art collections gathered by the Marquis of Cerralbo during his lifetime in the 17th century.
- El Museo Sorolla: The former home of painter Joaquín Sorolla y Bastida. His widow donated it to create the museum.
This program includes:
- El Escorial: The Monastery built by Philip II in the 16th century and El Valle de los Caidos: Franco's Pantheon, a symbol of the dictatorship in Spain.
- Aranjuez: The spring palace of the Spanish royalty and Chinchón: One of the most typical Castilian towns.
- Segovia: A city with a Roman aqueduct, a castle and a cathedral and La Granja: The summer palace of the Spanish royalty.
- El Pardo: The Royal Palace, former residence of Franco and Manzanares El Real: A Romantic castle in the mountains.
- Toledo: The seat of the Spanish court during the reign of Charles V. We'll visit the cathedral, the Santo Tomé Church, El Greco's house, San Juan de los Reyes and two medieval synagogues.
- Avila: A Romanesque walled city. We'll visit the Plaza Mayor and some churches, and take a walk to experience the atmosphere within the walls.
We'll make paella in the country and swim in a river, spending a fun day in the sun. The price for each activity includes transportation, a guide from the school and tickets to places of interest.
Students enrolled in the school have access to a program of activities and excursions, meals with a teacher in a private room of a local restaurant, and housing (with a Spanish family or in a studio or apartment).
Our school has a special program for meals. We offer breakfast in a cafeteria close to the school. The breakfast consists of coffee or tea with toast, pastries or churros. Lunch is served in a restaurant close to the school. A teacher dines with students at meals, and all conversations are held in Spanish. This contributes to creating a friendly and relaxed environment in which students can get to know one another.
We decided to serve meals in a restaurant because in the past many students eating with families would complain that "it's always the same food", "it's always served cold", "we always eat alone", or "it seems like the family doesn't want to spend money on food". Our school has its own salon in the restaurant and fully guarantees the quality of meals, in terms of food as well as company.
The meals are typical Spanish fare (paella, gazpacho, tortilla de patatas, and the like). If a student does not wish to dine with the school, there is a wide variety of restaurants nearby.
The tuition includes:
- Placement exam
- Books and other materials (Only for Intensive Courses and ONE TO ONE Courses)
- Internet access
- Library and video room
- Final exam
- Certificate of proficiency at the appropriate level.
Price does not include:
- Registration fees
- The enrollment fees is 30 Euros
- Health insurance or insurance for lost or stolen property. We recommend that students purchase their own insurance. Although the school is not liable in the event of an illness, accident, or loss of property, we would certainly provide any assistance we can.
About This Supplier
Joined InfoHub: Aug 2005
Client Request Served: 2
Our school is located in a fully renovated 150 year old building in the heart of the city just 3 minutes walking from Plaza Mayor, Puerta del Sol and the Royal Palace. Since 1988 Eureka has been dedicated to teaching Spanish as foreign language.
Our quality is certified by the Instituto Cervantes and the...
View this supplier profile | Submit your review
Please take this quick survey and tell us, in your opinion, how original is this trip?
Also see Vacation Schools in:
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend
|Check out these similar vacation offers: