Our school offers a studious and friendly environment in which to improve your English language skills. Class sizes are small with a maximum of 12 persons in each class and this ensures that students receive individual attention. English courses at our school - LS focus on developing communicative skills using a variety of activity-based tasks.
- English Fluency Development: The aim of these courses is to improve communication using idiomatic English. The main focus is on developing interactive listening and speaking skills. Realistic classroom practice is provided through a variety of activity-based procedures: role-play, fact - gathering tasks and problem-solving. Opportunities are also provided, in class and guided study, to deal with individual requirements in pronunciation, grammar and syntax.
- TOEFL Examination Preparation: Level: Upper Intermediate. This course is intended to help students perform at their best in the TOEFL by familiarizing themselves with the format of the test as well as with the question types and language problems they will meet. Students should register to take the Test directly with TOEFL.
- Pre-University Course: We are delighted to announce that our Pre University Course has been accepted by the Minister of Education. The Academic Year course is particularly appealing to non EU/EAA students as it allows the student to legally work in Ireland for the duration of time that they are on our course. This course is also suitable for European students wishing to go to University or college in Ireland.
The classes run from Monday to Friday. There are 15 hours a week and they run in the afternoon. Students with a good level of English are eligible to join the course. This would be 4.0 in all areas of the IELTS (Academic) exam. The course will guide them towards a 5.0 score in IELTS making them eligible for most third level foundation courses. We also accept PET in the Cambridge Exams and 400/97 in TOEFL for this course.
- Course content will include: Fluency/Pronunciation, Exam Preparation, presentation skills, inter cultural studies, preparation work for study in an English-speaking country module, essay writing skills, group work and projects.
- English for Academic Purposes: Level: Higher Intermediate +. The aims of this course are to develop listening, speaking, reading and writing skills in order to communicate effectively and accurately in academic contexts. The following key elements are included:
- Listening to lectures and note-taking
- Participating in tutorials and seminars
- Presenting academic papers
- Giving oral presentations
- Research study reading
- Academic writing (essays, reports, reviews)
- Answering examination questions
- Organized note-taking.
- Teacher Development (Primary & Secondary Level): There must be a minimum of 7 participants to run this course. This is an open course for non-native teachers of English who want to refresh their speaking skills and improve their idiomatic use of the language. There is exposure to a variety of teaching methodologies and a chance to develop a more analytical understanding of English.
Teaching materials and learning styles are considered and some computer assisted methods introduced. Some ideas about making learning more active and engaging are presented and a task based approach is used in many of the sessions. These courses are programmed at 2 levels: Primary and Secondary to suit the teaching needs of course participants.
- Teachers of English Language & Literature (Advanced): The course covers two main areas: the use of the English language in the Irish context and an overview of modern Irish literature in the English language. Afternoon visits will support this aspect of the course.
- IELTS Preparation Courses (International English Language Testing System): IELTS tests the complete range of English language skills which will be commonly encountered by students when studying or training in the medium of English. IELTS is recognized in most third level institutions and by most international companies. Students must register individually for the IELTS Exam.
* Accommodation: Our school's students can avail of accommodation with a Host Family or accommodation in the DCU University Campus Residence. Accommodation is arranged from the first Sunday to the final Saturday of a course period. It may be possible to book additional nights at an extra charge.
* Homestay: Available all year round. All our school's host families are carefully selected. They ensure that students feel welcome and at home during their visit. Students have their own room with breakfast and evening meal during the week and all meals at the weekend. The host family will do light laundry.
* Campus Residence: Available June-Sept. Students have their own study bedrooms and private bathroom. Kitchen facilities are shared. Meals are not included in the course fee but students may prepare their own meals or avail of the campus restaurants. Given that Campus accommodation is a popular choice with students, it is important to apply early for Campus Accommodation. You can take a taxi or public bus from the airport to DCU campus residences.
About This Supplier
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend