The ELC is one of the largest departments of its kind in Canada, with over 2200 international students attending our intensive English programs each year. ELC programs begin every month and you can combine them according to your needs and interests to study for 1 month, 6 months, a year - or more. The ELC offers a variety of programs to help students achieve their academic, personal and professional goals:
- 12-Week Intensive English programs: to strengthen English skills for upper beginner to advanced-level students. Includes specialized elective classes and a choice of general or academic streams for students at higher levels.
- University Admission Preparation programs, with a strong academic focus: prepares you for a successful experience at an English-speaking university.
- TOEFL & TOEIC Preparation courses: to improve your exam skills and scores.
- English Work Experience programs: to take your English skills "to the next level", while you gain professional experience during a full-time internship.
- 3-6 Week Monthly English programs: to focus on your speaking and listening skills during a short vacation or break between your university semesters.
- 4-6 Week Language & Culture programs: offered from June - August, these programs combine intensive morning classes with afternoon activities during Victoria´s warm, exciting summer season.
Depending on the program, you will attend 20-30 class hours per week, and outside of class you will enjoy a full calendar of social activities, unlimited access to UVic’s computer and language laboratories, libraries and recreational facilities. A Study Centre and Pronunciation Clinic are also provided for students in the 12-week program. Homestay accommodation is available from September - June and UVic Dormitory accommodation is offered in July and August.
The average ELC class size is 15 students, which ensures personal attention to each student's learning needs.
Our instructors are university graduates with special training in teaching ESL and extensive cross-cultural experience. They use an "integrated-skills" approach to teaching which develops our student's skills in reading, writing, listening and speaking.
The ELC strongly believes that social activities are an important partner to intensive English classes - enriching your cultural experience in Canada while giving you an opportunity to improve your English skills at the same time!
Our Activities Coordinators make sure that fun events on and off campus are organized for every program, and many of these activities are free! ELC Cultural Assistants lead the activities and are there to make students feel at home, so you are sure to make some Canadian friends while you are in Victoria! Many of your best memories of living and studying in Victoria will made while exploring our beautiful city with new friends from around the world. Favourite ELC activities include International Night, Discover BC Tours, Dances, Coffee Social, Ice Skating, Movie Nights, Volunteering, Mount Tolmie Hike, Drumming Workshop, Whalewatching ($), Weekend Trip to Vancouver Trip ($), Butchart Gardens ($)
The ELC is located in one of the newest buildings on campus - the Continuing Studies Building. It is a modern space in the heart of campus, with 16 classrooms and 2 computer listening labs. The back patio is a favourite place for students to lounge and relax on sunny days and faces the FIFA soccer field.
ELC students enjoy an invaluable language immersion experience on campus, studying alongside 19,000 Canadian students in degree programs at UVic. Each student receives a UVic ID card at the beginning of their program, which gives them unlimited access to UVic computer labs, libraries, and language labs. For a small additional fee, students can also use this card to access UVic´s modern athletics & recreation centres.
ELC Application Fee: CAD $150 (due upon registration)
Homestay Fee: CAD $250 (due upon registration)
Monthly Accommodation: CAD $750/month, paid directly to your host family
Joined InfoHub: Oct 2005
Client Request Served: 9
The English Language Centre (ELC) is celebrating 40 years of ESL excellence in 2010, as one of the oldest and largest language departments of its kind in Canada. The ELC is part of the University of Victoria (UVic), a medium-sized university located on a spacious and modern campus in the west-coast capital city of...
View this supplier profile | Submit your review
Please take this quick survey and tell us, in your opinion, how original is this trip?
Also see Vacation Schools in:
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend
|Check out these similar vacation offers: