* Madison Valley Ranch: For the angling adventure of a lifetime combine the Madison's best fly fishing lodge with the Madison's top guides. M20145 is very fortunate to be one of a select group of outfitters offering fly fishing trips out of the Madison Valley Ranch near Ennis, Montana. A more perfect fly fishing destination is hard to imagine. The Madison Valley Ranch is located on the Channels section of the Madison River. If a day spent float fishing hasn't fulfilled your angling urges, make a few casts on "Jurassic Pond" to trophy trout following a gourmet meal. Better yet, take advantage of the private access to one of the best wade fishing sections of the river right behind the ranch. Many of our guests have spent years fishing out of the world's top fishing lodges and they always rate the "ranch" at the very top!
* Gallatin River Lodge: M20145 has teamed up with the Gallatin Valley's premier lodge to offer a terrific fly fishing vacation package. The Gallatin River Lodge is small luxury fly fishing retreat located 15 minutes from Bozeman in the heart of the gorgeous Gallatin Valley. Situated on 350 acres with private Gallatin River access, the lodge offers the perfect blend of amenities for the discriminating angler. It provides so much more than other typical Bozeman hotels. The six guest suites have Jacuzzi tubs, fireplaces and comfortable furnishings. Frequented by both local guests and visitors from around the world, the Gallatin River Lodge restaurant is recognized as the finest dining experience in the region. The accommodations found at the lodge are hands down the best in the Gallatin Valley and it is the only Montana Lodge admitted to the prestigious Select Registry.
* Yellowstone Valley Lodge: The Yellowstone Valley Lodge is located in the heart of Paradise Valley along the banks of the Yellowstone River. A more breathtaking backdrop to your stay is hard to imagine. With the legendary Yellowstone River in the foreground and the Absaroka Mountains towering in the distance, views from the lodge are some of the best in Montana. The Lodge offers cabin style rooms, each with a semi private patio that opens to views of the river and high peaks. Fishing packages include all meals. Breakfast and dinner are offered daily at the Paradise Valley Grill just a few steps from your room. Chef Josh Pastrama prepares gourmet meals while you enjoy one of the most spectacular backdrops that Montana has to offer!
Private ranches: We have permission on several private ranches in the region. Fishing options range from site casting to monstrous trophy trout in small irrigation reservoirs to wade fishing pristine small streams in wilderness canyons.
Madison river fishing: The Madison river is frequently rated the number one fly fishing river in North America. This fabled fishery begins in Yellowstone Park and ends at Three Forks to form the Missouri river. M20145 is one of the only outfitters in Montana that fishes the Madison from the park to its mouth. We offer both float trips in drift boats and wade trips on the river. M20145 guides also offer wilderness raft trips through the famous Bear Trap Canyon (Bear Trap Wilderness trips are run through Bear Trap Express permit and booked via the Tackle Shop in Ennis). Several of our guides specialize in the Madison and regularly help guests hook up on trout larger than 20” on the Madison.
Yellowstone river fishing: The mighty Yellowstone river is one of the world’s great fly fishing destinations. M20145 fishes over 100 miles of the river. While we use drift boats on most of the river, we are one of the only outfitters in Montana that has class V whitewater trained guides capable of rowing the rapids of Yankee Jim canyon with fly fishing equipped rafts. The Yellowstone is a favorite of our guests!
Gallatin valley fishing: The Gallatin is a terrific wade fishing river loaded with trout in a beautiful canyon. The East Gallatin is a small meadow river with surprisingly large trout and great hatches. There are also several famous spring creeks in the Gallatin Valley.
Missouri river fishing: The Missouri is another of Montana’s fly fishing treasures. We target this large river when huge trout up to 30” run out of Canyon Ferry reservoir in both the spring and the fall. If you want to swing for the fences and have a shot at the biggest wild trout of your life, you might want to give the might Mo a try!
Boulder river fishing: If you haven’t heard of the Boulder its because nearly all of it is locked up by huge private ranches. It is also has a swift rocky river bed and lacks boat ramps keeping the majority of drift boat rowing guides off of it. M20145 guides use their white water training and specialized fly fishing rafts to offer float trips on the Boulder. The exceptional scenery, turquoise water and frenzied dry fly action make this river a hit with our returning guests.
Spring creek fishing: We offer trips on some of the world’s most famous spring creeks including DePuy’s, Armstrongs, Nelson’s, Milesnick’s, and McCoy’s spring creeks. These productive fisheries all originate from underground springs and offer the perfect water temperatures to trout year round. The ideal environment of the creeks allows them to become aquatic insect factories resulting in exceptional match the hatch fishing. Our guides are masters of these technical fisheries and will reveal the secrets you need to have success with their selective trout.
Lake fishing: Montana is home to some of the best lake fishing for trout in the world. We focus on lakes fisheries like Hebgen lake and Ennis lake in the late summer during the famous callibaetis hatch. This large mayfly produces the unique “gulper” phenomenon when giant trout greedily gulp down the insects off of the surface in a feeding frenzy.
Other great Montana rivers that we fish: In addition to the waters mentioned above, M20145 also offers trips on several of the regions other great rivers including the Stillwater, Bighorn, Ruby, Jefferson and more.
What Time of Year is Best?: Although we occasionally do some guiding in the winter for some folks in town for a ski trip, the majority of our guiding is done from April through October. Every month of the guide season offers great fishing.
About our Montana fly fishing guides: McGeehan's M20145 prides itself on having the hardest working fly fishing guides in Montana. In an area that is as renowned for fishing as ours, great fisherman are easy to find but great guides are a precious commodity. We've been in this business for a long time and have worked with hundreds of guides on rivers throughout the West. We understand how important a talented guide is in making a Montana fishing trip truly unforgettable. Our guide staff is comprised of several of the most respected professionals in the industry - the best of the best. Our guests describe our all-star crew as patient, knowledgeable, enthusiastic and fun. We look for guides that are not only superb fisherman, but also great teachers with expert rowing skills. M20145 is one of Montana's only outfitters that offer both traditional drift boat trips and remote canyon floats in fly fishing equipped whitewater rafts. Thanks to our seasoned guides, our ratio of returning clientele is one of the best in the business!
"I have been coming to Montana on fly fishing trips for a number of years, we always had fun, but always felt like something was missing. We fished all the main rivers: the Madison, Gallatin, Yellowstone; but after a while the water all looked the same. After fishing with numerous fly fishing guides, we finally found Brian and Miles McGeehan, and what a difference experience and education make! These two took us to places we had never seen before: Bear Trap Canyon float trips, Yankee Jim, the Boulder, Sitz Ranch, Willow Creek wade fishing and more. Every day we saw different water and had a different experience. I learned more about Montana fly fishing in our first trip out with them than I had learned in all the previous years we had come out West. These guys are dedicated, they care, and they will put you on some monster trout. I have the pictures to prove it!"
Bo Kirkpatrick - Birmingham, Alabama
Private fishing access, fine dining, expert fly fishing guides.
Nearby attractions and activities:
Fly fishing, horseback riding, rafting, Yellowstone National Park
Our guests typically stay in Bozeman, Ennis, Big Sky or Livingston (including Paradise Valley). Bozeman is home to a world class airport servicing over 5 major airlines.
2010 M20145 Fly Fishing Packages are based on double occupancy & shared guide:
- 3 nights/2 days of fishing start at $1495
- 4 nights/3 days of fishing start at $1995
- 5 nights/4 days of fishing start at $2495
- 6 nights/5 days of fishing start at $2995.
M20145 also offers guided trips outside of our lodging packages for $450 per day (2 people per guide).
Packages include all meals and fly fishing guide services.