Introduction to Sea Kayaking, Lake SuperiorPlease, note! This outfitter offer has expired. For similar outfitter offers currently available search here.
Tour Duration: 2 day(s)
Group Size: 1 - 10 people
Category: Whitewater rafting, canoeing, kayaking outfitters
Min Price: 270 Canadian Dollar (CAD) per person
Max Price: 270 Canadian Dollar (CAD) per person
* Your Itinerary:
9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.: Course is held at Batchawana Bay Prov. Park, approximately 60 km (36 miles) north of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.). We will introduce you to kayak design and equpment, demonstrate the strokes, and practice exists and rescues. So be prepared to get wet! Note: you need to bring personal gear/clothing; we provide kayaks, etc. (see equipment list below).
9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Saturday:
Introduction, Kayaks, Accessories:
- Anatomy of kayak, exterior and interior, hull design, deck layout
- Paddle design: length, size, selection criteria
- Safety equipment: PFD, pump, tow line, signalling and communication devices, first aid kit
- Cold weather equipment: dry tops, wet suits, dry suits, dry socks, hoods
- The four lines of defense against a paddling incident.
On Water Instruction:
- Warm up on beach
- Getting in and out of kayak
- Installing spray skirt
- PFD fit
- Paddle Strokes: forward, reverse, stopping, draw strokes, turning (sweep, bow and stern rudder), low brace turn
- Scull for support.
- Assisted, Eskimo rescue, all in, raft and pump, T-rescue, T-stirrup.
9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Sunday:
- Practice Rescues
- Solo Rescues: paddle float, sponson rescue, Eskimo roll (demonstration only)
- Towing: 1 and 2 person; short tow, long tow, contact tow.
- Basic navigation: basic chart use and route planning
- Basic seamanship: waves, clapotis, shore influences on waves
- Group dynamics.
* Equipment You Supply:
Paddling gear: Cap, sun glasses, paddling jacket (synthetic windbreaker or rain-suit, preferably with elasticized cuffs), short pants of synthetic material, neoprene booties or water sandals (e.g. Tevas) or running shoes, synthetic long underwear (top and bottom), plastic water bottle, head strap for glasses. A "Farmer John/Jane" wet suit will be supplied by Caribou Expeditions; however, to guarantee a good fit, a wet-suit can be purchased at many outdoor stores. Optional: Hand-held sighting compass.
- Paddling clothes should be synthetic, or with minimal cotton.
- Personal Gear: Sunscreen, chap stick, bug dope, toilet paper, matches or lighter, soap, etc.
* Equipment and Services supplied by the Owner:
- Kayak and Accessories: The boats we supply are single person kayaks (Necky). Each kayak comes with: sponge, paddle and spare, boat pump, whistle, spray skirt, poggies or neoprene gloves, personal flotation device (lifejacket). Wet suits are provided. Please indicate your lifejacket size and wet suit size when you send deposit or trip balance.
- Accessories: Waterproof dry bags for clothing.
- Safety Equipment: First aid kit, marine radio, compass, tow line.
- Basic Training: Your instructors are experienced sea kayakers with training from the B.C.U. (British Canoe Union) with training in C.P.R. and Wilderness First Aid.
If you bring your own kayak, deduct $20 CDN/day per kayak. Campsites are available at Pancake Bay Provincial Park and lodge accommodation at Voyageurs' Lodge on Batchawana Bay. Taxes included.