Tour Dates: March 22 to 28.
From observation of the model, we will examine the affect of light falling on the structures and forms of the head. Mixing color for complexions will be discussed and demonstrated. We will cover the use of atmosphere and background towards creating a finished portrait. Students at all levels will be given individual attention to help reach their personal goals.
Concentration will be on developing drawing skills. Our program will be influenced by the drawings and paintings of the human head that we will have the opportunity to observe in the Uffizi Museum of Florence. It is strongly recommended that beginners spend more time drawing at this workshop.
Portrait Workshop includes:
- 6 nights, 7 days at our very special Hotel in Tuscany, the former 15th century summer villa of Pope Pius II, all rooms with private bath
- Breakfast each morning: 5 lunches and 5 dinners included
- One-on-one art instruction in oils or pastels as well as drawing in graphite or charcoal
- Daily demonstrations in oils
- Model fees included
- Daily critiques of all works
- No more than 12 artists in the class
- Florence for the day, Guided tour of important sites; Entrance to - Uffizi Museum and the David; Florence Academy of Art
- English speaking guide: fees for museums & gratuities included
- R/T transportation from Rome to our location.
Sam D'Ambruoso of Middlebury, CT has been professionally painting landscapes and portraits since 1972. With over 16 years experience in teaching workshops and art instruction in the United States and in Italy, his artists' workshops in Tuscany, Amalfi, and Sicily as well as Old Lyme, CT and Block Island, RI have been widely acclaimed by past participants. A graduate of Providence College, he has studied with the internationally renowned painter, Thomas Beuchner of Elmira, New York; portraiture at the Paier College of Art, Hamden, CT with Joseph Funaro as well as figure and portrait painting with Dan Gheno at the Lyme Academy College of Fine Art. In the fall of 2006, he studied advanced portraiture with Peter Cox at the Art Students League, NYC. In 2007 he continued in portraiture with noted artist, Laura Stern Boeck of Katonah, NY
He has taught portrait drawing in area colleges as well as in an intense 10-week course on oil painting. He has on-going classes in Middlebury on general painting and portraiture. He is a member of the Connecticut Society of Portrait Artists, an Elected Artist at the Kent Art Association American Watercolor Society (Associate), Washington Art Association, The New Britain Museum of American Art, and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. He has been in regional as well as national landscape and figure shows.
Many of his paintings are in public and private collections worldwide. His most recent landscape of the Connecticut River area was selected by the former Governor M. Jodi Rell, installed at the State of Connecticut Governor’s residence, and included in the Permanent Art Collection of the State of Connecticut.
The workshop includes
- All model fees, one-on-one art instruction, and daily critiques
of all works.
- 6 nights, 7 days in a four star hotel in Florence
- Daily breakfasts and 5 dinners
- Demonstrations and lectures on portraiture
- Paint in professional studios in Florence
- No more than 10 artists in the class
- Paint in oils or pastels; as well as drawing in
graphite or charcoal
- Guided tours of the Uffizi Museum with special emphasis
- Guided tour of the Belle Art d’Academia to see the statue of David
by Michelangelo; also the Florence Academy
- Free day to explore and shop Florence on your own
- All land transfers to and from the Florence airport
Accommodation in Florence includes a 4 star hotel in the city center. We will paint in the studios of the Florence Academy of Art.
- Workshop fee for artist: 2,975 dbl occupancy
- Fee for guest: $2,575 dbl
- Single supplement: $475.
Also see Vacation Schools in:
Art and craft workshop