Painting in Plein Air and the Studio with Award Winning Artist and Instructor Stan MillerPlease, note! This vacation school offer has expired. For similar vacation school offers currently available search here.
Class Size: 7 people
Category: Art and craft workshop
Courses Per Year: 1
Course Level: All levels
Min Price: 1795 US Dollar (USD) per person
Max Price: 1895 US Dollar (USD) per person
A glimpse at the workshop and the weeks itinerary:
Arrange to arrive Saturday, February 4 from noon on, at Puerto Vallarta International Airport, where we will meet you and bring you to the Casa, (we drop you back at the airport following Saturday) . You will be shown to your private room, with balcony and wonderful views, settle in, refresh yourself - breath in the unique environment of the Boca and then, in the late afternoon, join other participants on the second floor of the Casa in the main dining and living area for a snack and to meet and greet one another.
We will have a short orientation and then at approximately 6:30 we will cross the river to have dinner at Ramones' Hauchinango ("Red Snapper") Restaurant, (this is a fishing village after all, though there are other things on the menu as well, to accommodate all varieties of diets). We dine on the beach with our feet in the sand as we become acquainted with one another and watch the sunset over the magnificent Bay of Banderas, waves lapping on the shore just a few yards away.
In this workshop Stan will do a demonstration every morning. Throughout the week our instructor will individually visit each student, so that you are assured individual attention. The fundamentals of good painting: drawing, understanding values, color, techniques and how to compose and design a painting will be demonstrated and discussed. Styles of painting, from realism to impressionism to abstraction will also be demonstrated and addressed.
Another gourmet meal is prepared and served by the Casa chef Ruby and her assistant at approx. 12:30 - 1 and after lunch is siesta till approximately 3 pm. This is your time, - work in the studio if you like or engage yourself in one of the myriad of additional activities available to you at the Casa.
In this particular workshop we will be doing some indoor studio painting in the Casa's magnificent 1000+ sq. ft. open air studio with panoramic vistas of the mountains, quaint fishing village, river and ocean. We will also be painting on location (plein air) both around the Boca and at the exotic locations our hosts will bring us, (included in the price of the trip). Students should come prepared to paint outside. Students are encouraged to bring photos (paper or digital images), of any paintings they have done for individual critiques from the instructor.
Students are also encouraged to bring 5 to 10 photos of subjects they might be interested in painting, some of these photos should be enlarged to approximately an 8" x 10" image. Stan will have handouts and painting projects for the days that we are in the studio, he will also be doing a short egg tempera demo. The workshop is geared toward all levels of students who work in water media. For your convenience, the Casa studio is open 24 hours.
- For Participants: 5 Workshop days - after breakfast to lunch, approx. 3 hrs. in the studio, then after lunch and siesta, 3 more hours of painting, and some evenings, (Sunday thru Friday). Friday is free time -spend it finishing some painting, explore, relax - and then a late afternoon/evening “critique” and “fiesta” celebrating participants work
The workshop ends with this critique/celebration of the participant/artist work
— More than 30 hours of Workshop time, (schedule is flexible to accommodate excursions)
- For Everyone:
* 7 nights accommodation (single or double occupancy -No extra charge for a single!)
* 7 breakfasts, 6 lunches and 6 dinners at Oceanside restaurants/all drinks included
* Painting, Lunch and tequila-tasting at mountaintop hacienda
* Puerto Vallarta excursion for gallery walking tour, shopping & city life
* Boat Trip to explore the gorgeous coastline with opportunity to see whales, dolphins, giant mantas/optional snorkeling at Los Arcos National Coral Reef Park, then on to a fabulous picnic at an exotic secluded beach (bring your camera and sketch book!)
* Round trip ground transportation from P.V. airport to Casa.
- Round trip airfare from your city to Puerto Vallarta International Airport
- Expenses for personal items
- Gratuities for the Casa cooks and house care persons.
Stan Miller has been a professional painter in watercolor and egg tempera for more than thirty years. He has exhibited his paintings in numerous exhibitions, galleries and museums and is a signature member and award winner with the American Watercolor Society. A number of articles in major art publications have been written about his work, such as:
- The American Artist/Watercolor Magazine/Summer Issue 2010,
- The Artists Magazine July/August 2010, The Artists Magazine June 2010,
- The French magazine
- Pratique Des Arts, featured Stan in their December 2010 issue, and his work was included in Best of America
- Watermedia Artists 2010, (Volume II).
His work was in the 2010 AWS exhibition in NYC. He won the grand prize in the Watercolor Magic Magazine national painting competition in 2006. In 2004 he won first place in landscape in the Artist’s Magazine National Painting Competition with over 15,000 entries. In 2006 he instructed a workshop with Plein Air Painters of America in France. In 2002 he won the Desser Award in the American Watercolor Society exhibition. In 2011 Stan conducted a workshop in Canada for the Canadian Federation of Artists. He continues to give workshops around the United States, Canada and Europe and Now Casa de los Artistas.
When you’re not painting: during the siesta and Friday, your time is your own. Your hosts will offer you three wonderful activities during the week, which are included in the cost of your trip (see below for more details). Or you can relax on the beautiful beach, stroll through the botanical gardens, photograph the charming village, take a siesta, visit the zoo, go hiking, walking, sea kayaking, zip lining, shopping in the Mercado, or exploring the galleries and cafés. You can enjoy peaceful alone time, or hang out with other guests.
Immerse yourself in the joys of authentic Mexican village life at one of the most beautiful and arts oriented locales in Latin America, Casa de los Artistas, in the safe and serene village of Boca de Tomatlan, 10 miles south of Puerto Vallarta.
- Total Cost of this Casa Workshops per Person: $1,895.00,
- Non-participant shared bed guest: $1,095.
- Non-Participant private room guest: $1,395.
- Early Bird Special: Register by October 31, $1,795.00 - Save 100.00