RYA Coastal Skipper Theoryoffered by supplier M17481 (read about supplier)
Class Size: 3 - 5 people
Category: Sport Camps
Season: January - December
Courses Per Year: 8
Course Level: Advanced
Min Price: 650 Euro (EUR) per person
Max Price: 750 Euro (EUR) per person
This is a course for the more experienced sailor who wishes to take on longer passages by day and night. Using skills and knowledge regarding boat handling, sailing, pilotage, meteorology and collision regulations. You will be expected to be able to plan passages and make decisions without frequent help.
Your instructor will give you every encouragement and assistance but it is up to you to take responsibility for implementing your plans. That means keeping the boat moving efficiently and safely along its course and at the same time keeping a happy crew.
The passages will involve sailing across to various ports in Sicily.
At the successful conclusion of this course you will feel confident and be competent to sail – with careful planning – to many places within the Mediterranean.
The course is delivered by RYA Yachtmaster Instructors.
The aim of this course is to teach the skills and techniques required to skipper a cruising yacht safely on coastal passages by day and night.
1. Passage planning. Can plan a coastal passage including a consideration of the capability of the yacht, navigation, victualing, weather, ports of refuge, tidal heights, and tidal streams, publications required and strategy. Know Customs procedures.
2. Preparation for sea. Is aware of safety equipment required for offshore passages. Can prepare a yacht for sea including stowage, safety briefing, watch keeping, delegating responsibilities and equipment and engine checks.
3. Pilotage. Can prepare a pilotage plan, with consideration of surroundings, transits, clearing bearings, buoyage, port or harbour regulations and tidal considerations. Can pilot a yacht by day and night
4. Passage making and ability as skipper. Can take charge of a yacht and direct the crew. Can organise the navigation, deckwork, and domestic duties of a yacht on passage. Is aware of the significance of meteorological trends. Is aware of crew welfare on passage. Can use electronic navigational equipment for planning and undertaking a passage, including the use of waypoints and routes.
5. Yacht handling under power. Can control the yacht effectively in a confined space under power. All berthing and unberthing situations in various conditions of wind and tide.
6. Yacht handling under sail. Characteristics. Can use the sails to control the yacht in a confined space. Anchoring and mooring in various conditions of wind and tide. Can sail efficiently on all points of sailing.
7. Adverse weather conditions. Preparation for heavy weather and yacht handling in strong winds. Navigation and general conduct in restricted visibility.
8. Emergency situations. Recovery of man overboard under power and sail
Understands action to be taken when abandoning to the liferaft and during helicopter and lifeboat rescues.
The practical part of the course is delivered on our RYA accredited sailing boat a Bavaria 36. The boat is equipped with all safety equipment according to RYA safety procedures.
Everything you need - instruction, accommodation on board, food, hot and cold drinks (we eat ashore in the evenings if the boat is in a marina, otherwise if the boat is in a bay we will provide the evening meal), bedding, life jacket, fuel, mooring fees at home port.
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Dec 2007
We are a company specialising in delivering RYA tuition and the provision of yacht charters in Malta. We deliver a range of internationally recognised RYA courses for both sail and power. So whether you're looking at a full-time job in the maritime sector or if it's just pleasure, we will guide and prepare...