Brazil Rainforest Research Volunteering Programoffered by supplier M17729 (read about supplier)
Class Size: 5 - 20 people
Category: Unique Vacation schools
Specialty: Tropical Studies
Season: January - December
Courses Per Year: 1
Course Level: Beginner
Min Price: 700 US Dollar (USD) per course
Max Price: 700 US Dollar (USD) per course
We encourage volunteers to bring their own ideas, plans, projects and papers to write- or you may want to get involved in one or more of our ongoing projects:
- Forests for Water: our mission is to restore the Brazilian Atlantic Forest to create more habitat for endangered species and restore the water sources on which our local communities depend. But our vision extends far beyond the forests around Iracambi. We're embarking on a major reforestation effort because healthy forests act as major carbon sinks attacking climate change at its roots. Together with our neighboring farmers we aim to plant thousands of native tree seedlings to help the Atlantic Forest return to its former glory!
- Young Eco-Leaders: provides vocational training for middle-school students by bringing them for the very first time out of the classroom and into the field to do hands-on conservation science in their rainforest community.
- Ecosystems Monitoring:
* fauna and flora inventories
* forest monitoring: forest cover, growth, species competition
* water monitoring and stream ecology
* soil monitoring
- Marketing and Fundraising: ensuring the financial sustainability of Iracambi so that we can keep on doing great work far into the future. Volunteers with skills in social media, IT, marketing and fundraising are just as much environmentalists as those getting their hands dirty in the field.
We are also looking for volunteers interested in organizing language exchanges with local staff and community members!
Moreover, Iracambi also offers a homestay option with three local environmentalists who each respectively specialize in primatology, agro-ecology and organic farming. This provides volunteers with the opportunity to experience local community members’ sustainable lifestyle, understand their work in greater depth and practice Portuguese.
We look forward to hearing from you and seeing you at Iracambi so that together we can go on saving forests and changing lives!
Center Directors have wide range of experience and knowledge to impart. External tutors can be brought in from nearby University depending on student needs.
Visits to local tourist attractions can be arranged. Soccer, capoeira, horse-back riding, hiking and Portuguese language study are available depending on student's interests and skill level.
Accommodation is in cabins with two rooms and two bunk beds in each. There is a central dining area, and recreational space. The Center has a computer lab with internet access 24/7, a basic laboratory, nad a small tecnical library.
- One month course.
- Full board and lodging.
- Transport or personal luxuries.
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Feb 2008
M17729, located in Brazil’s Atlantic Forest, has worked since 1999 to build up a solid record of community-based conservation and development activities where ideas generated in our research center are trialed on our forest farm and implemented through our NGO. Our conservation focus includes reforestation with...