Lebanon Travel Tips
Lebanon travel tips on money saving, personal safety, sightseeing, and enjoying your trip to the fullest from InfoHub suppliers and community members.
Historical Facts about Lebanon
Submitted by M20467Historical Facts:
- Lebanon (Lubnan in Arabic) means white: color of the snow-covered mountains.
- Phoenician cities: Byblos, Baalbeck and Tyre were inscribed in 1984 on the UNESCO World Heritage List. Ouadi Qadisha (Holy Valley) and Cedars’ Forest of God (Arz el-Rab) enlisted in 1998.
- Phoenicians were seafarers and traders; used the North Star for navigation. Produced glass, purple dye and cedar wood. Colonized the Aegean Islands, Cyprus, Rhodes and Carthage.
- The Phoenician alphabet - 22 consonants - was ... view more the foundation of the alphabet used today.
- The Cedars were the building materials in the ancient world.
- One of the ancient Roman Law schools was founded in Berytus (Beirut).
- Beirut was destroyed and rebuilt 7 times.
- Famous Lebanese Philosophers, Authors: Gibran Khalil Gebran (The Prophet) and Amin Maalouf.
Important To Know about Lebanon
Submitted by M20467To Know:
- Society & Conduct: Importance of Family Life. Liberal Culture in matters of dress and latest Western fashions.
- Don’t(s): Do NOT get into political debates given the complex political affiliations.
- Religion: An amalgam of Christians, Muslim, Druze.
- Tipping: Common practice.
- Fun Fact: Lebanese mix all 3 languages in 1 sentence: “Hi, Kifak, Ça Va?” which translates to: Hi, How are you, all right?
Useful Telephone No.:
- Police: 112
- Civil Defense: 125
- Red Cross-Lebanon: 140
... view more
- Airport: 150
- Fire Department: 175
- Telephone Directory: 1515
Fact File about Lebanon
Submitted by M20467Lebanon is a year-round destination, popular for winter and summer sports. During April and May, and if your timing is just right, you would be able to live the cliché: Catch the end of the ski season and sunbathe on the coast.
- Capital: Beirut
- Population: 4,500,000 estimation
- Surface: 10,452 Km2
- Language: Arabic, English, French
- Currency: Lebanese Pounds (LBP)
- Exchange Rate: 1 USD = 1,500 LBP
- Time GMT: + 2 [Oct to Mar]; +3 [Apr to Sep]
- Tel Code: +961
- Electricity: 220 Volts, ... view more 2-pin plug.
- Borders: 225 Km from the Palestinian-Israeli border in the south at Naqoura, to Nahr-El-Kabir at the northern border with Syria.
- Highest Point: Qornet as-Sawda (Black Peak) 3,083m.
- Education: One of the highest literacy rates in the Middle East, privately educated.
- Work Days: Monday to Friday Weekends: Saturday & Sunday.
- Food Specialties: Hommos, Tabboulé, Fattouche, Zaatar and other dishes.
- Alcohol Specialties: Arak (the national drink) and Lebanese Wine (Ksara, Kefraya, Chateau Musar).