Ukraine Travel Tips
Ukraine travel tips on money saving, personal safety, sightseeing, and enjoying your trip to the fullest from InfoHub suppliers and community members.
What to wear when you are going to catacombs
Submitted by M21077You need to take with you a sweater or a jacket when you are going on excursion to catacombs, something warm, even in the summer. Because temperature inside all year is about 53F or 12C. Also you need to take comfortable shoes.
How do I buy the things in Ukraine?
Submitted by M18791Ukraine has a strict law that prohibits to accept any other currency but Ukrainian Hrivna, it works in 98% cases, sometimes if all you have is dollars a restaurant may accept it, giving you not the best exchange rate, as you could expect, but no way shops accept USD. However there are dozens of currency exchange offices around the city, especially in the central part. One American Dollar costs approximately 5 Ukrainian Hrivnas(the rate changes all the time), one English pound is 10 Hrivnas. If you bring over the ... view more cash you will not have problems exchanging it into Ukrainian currency.
The other option is to bring Travelers Cheques, Thomas Cook and American Express are the common one. If you decide to bring the cheques, please make sure you save the immigration card they gave you on the plane flying into Ukraine, you are going to need this paper in the bank, bank needs to have a look at the exact days of your arrival. The banks usually charge 2% commission for the withdrawal using cheques.
Bringing a credit card can be a good idea if your credit card company doesn't charge a lot for cash withdrawal. It would also be a good idea if you let them know that you are going to Ukraine. Otherwise they might not allow the transactions made in Ukraine as it's not a regular place of your residence. Not like in the US or Western Europe in Ukraine it it still not very common for cafes and restaurants to accept payments by credit cards, however some places do accept them, but those are probably 10% of all the quantity!
Information about Ukraine - Ukrainian Customs
Submitted by M19469When visiting Ukraine, it may be useful to know few simple rules of etiquette:
- If you are invited into a family home, it is traditional to bring a gift. A bottle of wine, a cake or a bouquet of flowers is customary. If there is a child in the house, it is appropriate to provide him/her with a small gift as well.
- Take off your gloves when shaking hands. Be prepared to remove your shoes before entering. Usually hosts will provide you with a pair of slippers.
- Going to upscale restaurants, expect that your ... view more coat, briefcase will be checked.
- When eating dinner at someone's home, casual dress is accepted.
- If you bring flowers, make sure it is an odd number of flowers. Even numbers are only brought to funerals.
- Be prepared to accept all food and drink offered you when visiting friends. Ukrainians are known for their generosity when it comes to feeding others. Turning down food may be considered rude and disrespect.
- Be ready to toast at dinner, guests are often asked to do so. Offer your snacks and cigarettes to those around you, it is a tradition to share.
- For business meeting, dress should be conservative, jeans and sneakers are not acceptable. Men should not take off their jackets unless asked, but should take off their hats.
- In Orthodox churches women wear scarves or hats, and men take off their hats. Loud talk or laugh is prohibited.
- Don't put your thumb between your first two fingers - this is a very rude gesture.
Bicycle Carriage on Trains in Russia
Submitted by M05728Long-distance trains:
According to the regulations every passenger may carry up to 36 kg (50 kg for the 1 class). Bicycles should be demounted (at least wheels, pedals, handlebar) and covered. The main problem is to find place to keep especially if there are more than one bicycle. In the 3 class it is easier because there are special luggage berths there.
Commuter trains (electrichka):
Bicycle tickets fare is about 1 Euros. No special cars or place for bicycles. In some trains there is a lot of space, in some ... view more space is very limited (you should apply your creativity to put your bicycle).