The Beautiful Alentejo Beaches (Hybrid Bike Tour) - Guided or Self-Guided Touroffered by supplier M14710 (read about supplier)
Tour Duration: 7 day(s)
Group Size: 2 - 16 people
Specialty Categories: Bicycle Touring Cultural Journey
Season: May - November
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: Yes
Minimum Per Person Price: 1270 Euro (EUR)
Maximum Per Person Price: 2020 Euro (EUR)
- The Natural Park of SW Alentejo and Vicentine Coast
- The most preserved coast all over Europe
- Tasty fresh fish of the Atlantic Coast
- Vast fields of vegetable crops
- The beautiful cliffs of Vicentine Coast
- The limpid and clear water of the sea
- Cape S. Vicente - the birds and the sunset into the Atlantic Ocean
- Sagres - the south-westernmost point of Continental Europe
- The gorgeous beaches and beautiful coast of the Algarve region
- Lagos - the cosmopolitan and the oldest town in the Algarve.
- Class: Landscape Tour
- Region of Portugal: Alentejo and Algarve (coast)
- Duration: 7 days/ 6 nights/ 4 days cycling/ 1 day rest
- Begin: Sines (Alentejo)
- End: Lagos (Algarve)
- Overall difficulty level: Intermediate. You must be in good shape.
- Distance: 227 km (146 mi)
- Average: 45 km/day (29 mi/day)
- Trails: 77% asphalt – 23% dirt-roads.
SW Alentejo and Vicentine Coast Natural Park extends itself along the Portuguese coast and is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean. This SW landscape is 300 million years old and it is one of the most preserved landscapes all over Europe; human intervention has been less visible throughout its history. Once submerged (about 2 million years ago), this is a vast area with many different coastal habitats and countless beaches and cliffs. Our daily tours include going to the wonderful beaches of this Natural Park and taking a swim in the clear, blue sea. Cliffs are steep, almost 100 m high and right above the ocean. Countless rocks and isolated islets complete this beautiful and unique scenery. This area boasts a diversity of rare botanical species, with very interesting flora and a variety of maritime birds that nest here.
Riding along the trails of these cliffs that belong to this Natural Park, admiring the unique views of the blue ocean and feel the fresh wind in your face is one of the most fantastic feelings that any person can have. In the extreme south point of this tour you will find Cape S. Vicente. This is the south-westernmost point in continental Europe and a passing area for thousands of birds of prey.
The tour also goes to Sagres, which is the place from where our brave forefathers sailed on their caravels seeking new peoples and continents. Finally, you will visit some of the beaches of our famous Algarve including the cosmopolitan city of Lagos. This is one of the oldest towns in Algarve. We can still see evidence of the wall surrounding the town for protection. Lagos also has an old fort and its former Slave Market is now an art gallery.
Day 1: Arrival – Welcome at Lisbon airport. 2 H drive to Sines, briefing about the tour followed by dinner. Lodging in a 4* charming Hotel where you can find numerous references to Portugal’s greatest navigator “Vasco da Gama".
Day 2: The typical houses in Alentejo Coast – 41 km (26 mi), 350 m ascent, level 2. After breakfast we ride into the SW Alentejo Natural Park, one of the most well preserved coasts in Europe. We visit the fishing village of Porto Covo and we can admire the wonderful beaches until we get to Vila Nova Milfontes. Picnic on the way. Dinner with the group. Lodging in a small town classified as a Touristic Paradise, near the beach.
Day 3: The vast fields of vegetable crops – 58 km (37 mi), 590 m ascent, level 3. After breakfast we ride towards Cape Sardão, a paradisiacal spot perfect for meditation. We visit Zambujeira do Mar and we end in Odeceixe, another village near the sea. Picnic on the way. Dinner with the group. Lodging in a Bed & Breakfast unit with a refreshing swimming-pool.
Day 4: The beautiful beaches at Vicentine Coast – 50 km (32 mi), 780 m ascent, level 3. After breakfast we ride towards Aljezur with its castle on the top dated from the 10th century. We continue riding southwards, we cross the woods, hills and valleys until we get to Carrapateira, always full of surfers. Picnic on the way. Lodging in a small house in the most typical village near the west coast of the Algarve, very calm and very quiet.
Day 5: Cape S. Vincent - the south-westernmost point in Europe - 32 km (21 mi), 300 m ascent, level 1. The west coast and the vicentine coast are ending. After breakfast we go to the westernmost point in Europe and we stay in Sagres. Lodging in a 4* new hotel with swimming-pool, surrounded by stunning deserted beaches and the wild nature of an unforgettable beauty.
Day 6: The coast of the Algarve - 46 km (29 mi), 710 m ascent, level 3. After breakfast we ride along the south coast of the Algarve and we can see the difference when the Natural Park ends and the touristic Algarve starts. Before getting to Lagos we visit Ponta da Piedade where the sea and the wind have shaped beautiful rocks creating an amazing view. Picnic on the way. Dinner with the group. Lodging in a 4* hotel with swimming-pool, that epitomises the Algarve culture, with blue and white corridors which link the rooms, patios, restaurants and bar.
Day 7: Departure – After breakfast transfer to Lisbon airport. 3:00 drive to airport.
10% discount for InfoHub customer. Request a free gift certificate.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
- 7 - day Hybrid Bike Tour with a Guide (*)
- Transfers from and to Lisbon Airport
- Accommodations (6 nights): 3 four* Hotels (one charming Hotel, one Design Hotel front to the beach, one cosy Hotel), 3 B&B/Rural Tourism. Double bedroom occupancy.
- 6 Breakfasts
- 3 nourishing and energetic picnics (*)
- 6 Dinners (including our famous wines, our amazing cheeses and lovely desserts) (*)
- Daily energy-bars and water (*)
- Luggage transport from Hotel to Hotel
- Documentation about tour
- Liability Insurance
- Personal Accident Insurance
- Techno - Mechanical Assistance (*)
- First - Aid assistance on location (*)
- Permanent Backup Vehicle (*).
(*) Not included in Self-Guided Tours.
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Aug 2006
Being a Portuguese-owned company, we know our country better than anybody else and we want to expose people to places and curiosities about Portugal that only a Portuguese knows! Our goal is that you visit Portugal riding a bicycle! In our company tours you have the opportunity to visit our historical, cultural and...