The Ancient Medieval Villages (Road Bike Tour) - Guided or Self-Guided Touroffered by supplier M14710 (read about supplier)
Tour Duration: 7 day(s)
Group Size: 2 - 16 people
Specialty Categories: Bicycle Touring Cultural Journey
Season: February - December
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: Yes
Minimum Per Person Price: 1280 Euro (EUR)
Maximum Per Person Price: 2040 Euro (EUR)
- The medieval town of Castelo de Vide
- Narrow roads rounded with old stones
- The Natural Park landscape of S. Mamede Hills
- Majestic Marvao Castle from the top
- Visit to the Marble Museum
- Visit to the winery and wine tasting
- Arraiolos - famous for its tapestries
- Fields of Cork trees, Olive trees and vineyards
- Evora city - classified as World Heritage by UNESCO
- The amazing landscape in Alentejo and the charming accommodations.
-Type: Road Bike Tour
-Class: Historic Tour
-Version: Guided or Self-Guided
-Region of Portugal: Alentejo (inland)
-Duration: 7 days / 6 nights / 5 days cycling
-Begin: Marvão (Alentejo)
-End: Évora (Alentejo)
-Difficulty level (1-5): 3 Intermediate. You must be in good shape.
-Distance: 283 km (176 mi)
-Average: 57 km/day (35 mi/day)
Day 1: Arrival – Welcome at Lisbon airport. 3H00 drive to Marvão. Briefing about the tour followed by dinner. Lodging in a cosy 3* Hotel in Marvão, the highest medieval village of Portugal.
Day 2: The beautiful village of Marvão and its castle – 48 km (30 mi), level 3.
After breakfast we ride down from the medieval village of Marvão on the top and we ride into the Natural Park of São Mamede Hills. Here Nature and History embrace each other. It seems time has stopped! …Everything is quiet. We have our picnic at a place with a dazzling view over another medieval village, Castelo de Vide. Dinner with the group. Lodging in a classic Manor House (Bed & Breakfast) that was built in the 17th century.
Day 3: The Natural Park landscape of S. Mamede Hills – 76 km (47 mi), level 4. After breakfast we leave Castelo de Vide and its castle, its churches and the Jew quarters and we ride on into the Natural Park. We have our picnic and the day ends in Elvas, a beautiful border town with its castle, walls and an aqueduct built in the 16th century. Dinner with the group. Lodging in a 4* Hotel that was built conserving the old architectonic structures of the convent.
Day 4: Vila Viçosa and its marble. – 62 km (39 mi), level 4.
After breakfast we ride towards Vila Viçosa, the capital of marble in Portugal. This is a quiet small town where even the sidewalks are made of marble. There is marble everywhere. We have our picnic in the garden and then we visit the Marble Museum where you can learn how marble was extracted in the past and how it is extracted nowadays. The day ends in Redondo where we visit a pottery workshop. Lodging in an impressive Convent built in 1182 by monks, recently converted in a 4* hotel, with its impressive private collection of eighteenth century Portuguese tile work.
Day 5: Cork trees, Olive trees and Vineyards. – 66 km (41 mi), level 4.
After breakfast we leave the Convent where we spent the night and we ride towards Estremoz, land of marble and wine. We have our picnic on the way and we end our day in Arraiolos, the land of the famous rugs. Visit to a tapestry workshop. Dinner with the group. Lodging in a 16th century convent converted into a Pousada where you find the perfect harmony between the traditional and modern concepts of Portuguese architecture.
Day 6: Towards Évora – 26 km (16 mi), level 1. After breakfast we ride towards Évora, a city classified as World Heritage by UNESCO. We visit a winery and taste the wine and then we have the afternoon free to wander around in this historic city where we can find evidences of 2000 years of History. Dinner with the group. Lodging in a 5* Hotel with swimming-pool located in the historic center of Évora.
Day 7: Departure. After breakfast we drive 2H00 to the airport. Farewell at Lisbon airport.
Ask us about dates/prices and availability.
10% discount for InfoHub customer. Request a free gift certificate.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
The price includes:
- 7-day Road Bike Tour with a Guide (*)
- Transfers from and to Lisbon Airport
- Accommodations (6 nights): 1 five* Design Hotel, 1 Pousada (16th century Convent), 2 four* Historic Hotels (one 12th century Convent and one Military Convent), 1 three* charming Hotel within a fortress, one 18th century Manour House. Double bedroom occupancy.
- 6 Breakfasts
- 4 nourishing and energetic picnics (*)
- 6 Dinners (including our famous wines, our amazing cheeses and lovely desserts) (*)
- Daily energy-bars and water (*)
- Luggage transport from Hotel to Hotel
- Documentation about tour
- Personal Accident Insurance and Liability Insurance.
- First-Aid assistance on location (*)
- Techno-Mechanical Assistance (*)
- Permanent Backup Vehicle (*)
- Visit to Marble Museum (*)
- Visit to the Winery and wine tasting (*)
(*) Not included in Self-Guided Tours
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Aug 2006
Being a Portuguese-owned company, we know our country better than anybody else and we want to expose people to places and curiosities about Portugal that only a Portuguese knows! Our goal is that you visit Portugal riding a bicycle! In our company tours you have the opportunity to visit our historical, cultural and...