From the Anatolian Mountains to the Mediterranean Sea (Turkey)Please, note! This tour offer has expired. For similar tour offers currently available search here.
Tour Duration: 8 day(s)
Group Size: 6 - 12 people
Specialty Categories: Bicycle Touring
Season: April - October
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: No
Minimum Per Person Price: 970 Euro (EUR)
Maximum Per Person Price: 970 Euro (EUR)
We cycle southwards visiting many of the region’s historic and cultural sights, pass by vast mountainous areas and valleys with apple and vegetable gardens and herds of sheep and goat, spend a night in the lively Nigde city and enjoy the hospitability of Turkish people and the outstanding local cuisine. Besides a fantastic cycling in Cappadocia the next step is nice ‘around trip‘ in Taurus Mountains area with peaks reaching almost 3800 m.
The Taurus Mountains are the Western branch of the great mountain chain that stretches across all of Asia. We spend 3 days cycling in the beautiful mountain scenery of Aladaglar and Bolkar mountains (part of Taurus) and enjoy the quiet peaceful village life. The trip ends at the blue waters of the Mediterranean sea where we can enjoy a refreshing swim and rest.
other dates upon request
Day 1: Arrival in Kayseri and transfer to the hotel in Goreme for overnight.
Day 2: We start from Goreme cycling up and down enjoying the nice overviews over The Cappadocia Valley. You will pass through the towns of Urgup, Mustafapasa, Taskinpasa and Sahinefendi and visit the Keslik Monastery and Zelve open air museum (dug into the rocks) before we reach Derinkuyu where we stay overnight. A must see is the unique Derinkuyu Underground City, going 85 m in the ground and comprising 8 floors. (cycling distance: 75 km, uphill/downhill cycling: 900/670m).
Day 3: Starting from Derinkuyu and biking on an even road, you reach Gosterli. The altitudes vary from 1275 to 1390 m a.s.l. In the charming Belisirma village the road passes along some nice restaurants by the river at the bottom of the spectacular Ihlara valley, where we can have lunch. The small village, perched on the valley’s slopes is interesting with its stone houses with flat roofs covered with grass. Going out of the valley we visit 2 rock churches with frescos from 12c. We stay overnight in Guzelyurt. (cycling distance: 69 km, uphill/downhill cycling: 580/540m).
Day 4: In the morning we continue with an uphill ride with great views to Hasan volcano . For the whole day the track goes up and down slightly, running through a large area of oval hills. Further on we pass by a nice dam and just before reaching Tepekoy village we arrive at the highest point of today’s route – 2120 m a. s. l. At the end you enter the city of Nigde where we stay overnight. (cycling distance: 55 km, uphill/downhill cycling: 900/1100m).
Day 5: The cycling starts from the hotel in Nigde city. After a while we reach the wonderful Gumusler Monastery, cut into the rock. After a visit of the monastery we cycle back and in around 20 km we reach the highest point for the stage - 1960 m. Further on we enjoy the magnificent views of Aladaglar mountains (part of Taurus) and its highest peak Demirkazik (3 756m). We stay overnight in Demirkazik/Cukurbag village at the foothills of Aladaglar Mountains. (cycling distance: 55 km, uphill/downhill cycling: 860/620m).
Day 6: Already out of town you will be able to enjoy for a long time the stunning view of the mountain on your left and the river running on both sides of the road. For most of the time the track goes slightly downhill, at altitudes between 1200 and 1400 m You will pass through some towns and villages Dagdibi, Menemecki, Kamisli and Findikli before the spa village of Ciftehan where we stay overnight. Relax in the hot thermal swimming pools. (cycling distance: 60 km, uphill/downhill cycling: 300/670m).
Day 7: Today you follow the old road passing through the mountains to the Mediterranean sea. You cycle among beautiful landscapes of mountain ridges and peaks and green coniferous forests passing by small mountain villages and towns. You finish cycling before Tarsus town. Short transfer brings you to Kizkalesi (Maiden’s castle), famous for Koryokos fortress from 12, the beautiful beach and castle built on an island in the sea. (cycling distance: 65 km, uphill/downhill cycling: 350/805m).
Day 8: Transfer to Adana airport for departure.
Good to know:
- Bikes: hardtail mountain bike or hybrid bike
- Roads: We use mostly two-way roads ( with an asphalt covering. The country roads are quite peaceful, sometimes without any cars. There are few stages with more traffic (Goreme-Urgup area, getting in and out of Nigde, etc).The asphalt roads we cycle on are relatively in a very good condition, but the asphalt covering is rough. Be careful when going downhill on a rainy day, roads gets very slippery. The itinerary is mostly on isolated asphalt roads, but it's always good to watch out for turkish drivers - they just don't respect the traffic ordinance.
- Guide/driver: The guide with the supporting vehicle and the luggage inside checks several times a day if everything is OK with the group, waiting by crossroads, accompanying them for breakfast, lunch and dinner and giving them talks by the most interesting sites en-route
- We reccommend trip in the period: April- May; September - October.
- Necessary equipment: We strongly recommend you wearing a helmet during the cycling. You can bring your own helmet or use one of ours. Cycling gloves, breathable clothes, waterproof gear, cycling shoes/trainers. (for list with recommended items see “General” in the trip dossier).
- Tour difficulty: moderate. For bikers in good physical condition.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
- Single room supplement: 100 euro
- Rent of a rear saddlebag: 10 euro/week.
- Accommodation in family-run hotels, guest houses or pensions with private facilities
- 7 breakfasts, 4 dinners (day 2, 3, 5, 6)
- All ground transfers and luggage transportation
- English-speaking guide/driver
- Rent bike and helmet
- Technical support of the bikes.
- Travel insurance
- Entrance fees
- Additional meals outside the program
- Alcoholic drinks
- Other personal expenses.