One Day Trip from Sofia to Plovdiv and Bachkovo Monastery, 2010Please, note! This tour offer has expired. For similar tour offers currently available search here.
Tour Duration: 1 day(s)
Group Size: 2 - 6 people
Specialty Categories: Cultural Journey Archeology/History
Season: January - December
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: Yes
Minimum Per Person Price: 106 Euro (EUR)
Maximum Per Person Price: 132 Euro (EUR)
The St. Constantine and St. Helena Church completed in 1832, contains murals painted in 1836 by Zachary Zograph, the best known Bulgarian National Revival painter. Bachkovo Monastery is the second most important after the Rila Monastery, with frescoes and murals from the 17th century, considered masterpieces of European Renaissance Art.
- Duration: 9 - 10 hours
- This is a full day trip from Sofia to Plovdiv and Backovo monastery
- Distance: From Sofia to Plovdiv is 150 km and takes about 2 hours drive
- Bachkovo Monastery is located 30 km south of Plovdiv, in the Rhodope Mountains, around 30-40 minutes drive from Plovdiv
- Departure is 08:30 in the morning from Sofia
- Return to your hotel in Sofia would be expected at around 17:30-18:00 in the late afternoon. Please note, that these timings are approximate and depend on actual traffic conditions.
Note: Our driver and guide will pick you from your hotel. Recommended sites of interest:
- The Roman Forum
- Fortress Walls
- Amphitheatre, which was built during the time of Emperor Trajan (98-117). It has 28 rows with tiers of marble seats, which can accommodate over 3 500 spectators and today is still functioning
- The Old Town with spectacular architecture of the National Revival period (18th – 19th century).
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
- Option 1 (Cost per person - € 132.00)
* Transportation by private A/C car/ van
* Professional Guide Service
- Option 2 (Cost per person - € 106.00)
* Transportation by private A/C car/van.